Tap Drain At Basement Floor? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tap drain at basement floor?

I have a 4" drain that goes into the concrete basement floor. About one foot off the floor is a cleanout. I would like a/c condensate to drain into this pipe, but I would need to tap the pipe right at the floor line in order for gravity to work in the condensate line. Is it feasible to tap into the vertical drain right at the floor line? Here's where the plot twists into a 2-part question:
Between the furnace and the drain pipe is a door to the garage, so the condensate pipe needs to run below the door, along the threshold. I had thought of continuing the condensate pipe along the floor to the drain pipe, but then it occurred to me that the condensate pipe could be routed to encounter the door at a 2' height, make a "U" under the door, leaving the door area at an 18" height. In short, the"U" would simply be a bigger trap than normal, but it would still function as a trap, allowing me to tap the drain at the cleanout level, which I'm assuming is OK.

Advertisement

jrh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

And why not just drain it outside instead of into a drain line?
How about some pictures. I can not imagine how running it under a garage door would be a good idea.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Summer a/c condensate and winter AprilAire humidifier overflow have been going into a condensate pump, and out the far end of the house. Pipe in wall froze, probably some years ago, and water has been seeping through bricks. Door is to the garage, 36"x80", not a "garage door" that is 9' wide. I'd prefer not to use a condensate pump, due to the volume of water from the AprilAire.
jrh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 04:01 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 672

Pipe it below ground into a sump pit.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleanout , condensate , floor line , tap drain