Tankless Water Heaters - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tankless water heaters

what is a good quality & reliable tankless water heater?

Advertisement

Last edited by c bell; 08-18-2010 at 11:34 PM.
c bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
fabrk8r

Rewards Points: 500

tankless water heaters

You will find that everyone who is in favor of tankless waters heater has their own opinion.

If you are taking bids for an installation I would ask the contractors what brand they use and why.

I installed my own because I could. That saved me about $1K. It's a Richmond brand made by Rheem. For me it doesn't really matter what brand because I will be doing the maintenance and repair myself.

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #3

tankless water heaters

I got the Rinnai R94LSiN and installed it myself. You'll need a 3/4" gas line run to whatever you choose. I've been super happy with mine. Won't ever go back to a tank.

Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
fabrk8r

tankless water heaters

That's a nice looking install Hack...you should change your name!

I'll never go back to a conventional tank type water either. I'm using 1/2 the therms I used to use for heating water and I never have to worry about running out of hot water while showering again.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:41 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

tankless water heaters

Most people will agree that Rinnai is a premium unit. What ever you decide to purchase, make sure you read all the warranty info and installation requirements. Even the cheaper units are not really cheap to buy, so why start off with problems.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,204

tankless water heaters

I've heard many good things about Rinnai as well, but they are expensive. I have a Rheem Eco-Sense gas tankless I installed myself. I'll never go back to a tank unit.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 02:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

tankless water heaters

As stated, get what you wish, but be aware of what the requirements are. Most people, even many Plumbers that install tankless units, do not have the knowledge to do repair or maintenance work on them. Some warranties require professional installation.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:45 PM   #8

tankless water heaters

thanks for the feedback - i will be installing it by myself - that's why i'm trying to do research before getting into the expense - i lived in taiwan 25 years ago and had a tankless then - have always wanted one since -

what about the takagi - i am thinking that if they were original manufacturers then maybe their units have some technology that the others haven't hit on yet -
Old 08-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #9

tankless water heaters

my tank right now is electric but i'm thinking that i should switch to ng - my furnace is in the same room and is ng - can i share the gas line with the tankless?
Old 08-19-2010, 07:08 AM   #10

tankless water heaters

I nearly bought a Takagi. They get good reviews and are readily available on the net. If there's gas near where you will be installing the critical factor is the size of the has line. It has to be 3/4". This is just over 1" in outside diameter.

Tapping into the gas line is straight forward and much easier than dealing with sweating copper. You just need to check for leaks and do a pressure test when done. Plenty of info online about this.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:00 AM   #11
Still going...

tankless water heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by c bell View Post
my tank right now is electric but i'm thinking that i should switch to ng - my furnace is in the same room and is ng - can i share the gas line with the tankless?
Make sure you consult one of the gas flow charts that specify how many BTU's you can get through a pipe. All tankless water heaters are gas hogs! You may be in a situation where based on the distance to the gas meter the line may need to be substantially increased.

I would make sure you get warranty info in writing.
Attached Thumbnails
tankless water heaters-img_2186.jpg  

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:36 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 150

tankless water heaters

I bought mine on E-Bay, factory reconditioned with full warranty. It was a dent/scratch. I know, I took a chance, but at 1/2 price! I installed a Rheem/Paloma, and couldn't be happier. Had to brick off a window, and run some piping, but well worth it. Total cost of unit, piping, brick work, etc. was roughly $900 minus $450 rebate from gas company. Totaled out to same cost of a new tank unit.
TJ_in_IL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #13

tankless water heaters

Oh yeah...bonus $$$. I get 30% back for the tax credit and a $300 rebate from my gas company. I'll save a total of $600 on my tankless. A great deal right now.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
Still going...

tankless water heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack View Post
Oh yeah...bonus $$$. I get 30% back for the tax credit and a $300 rebate from my gas company. I'll save a total of $600 on my tankless. A great deal right now.
I forgot I got the tax credit too!

Master Bath, still going...
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 75

tankless water heaters

Im looking into a Rheem tankless that Home Depot sells..........reviews seem to be pretty decent.

If I do go ahead with the purchase I will be installing it myself. The only issue I am concerned with is the cold climate up here in Toronto Canada during the winter months. I have been told by a few people I know in the area that have them say they've had nothing but problems b/c of extreme cold air backdraft entering the intake / exhaust piping. When a cold gust of air enters the piping it creates alot of condensation problems which over a period of a few short months collects in the tankless unit and eventually corrodes the heat exchanger. I know they sell condensation collecting pipes but apparentley those dont work as well as the manufacturers claim they do. It is nothing but a nipple (outlet) tapped into the intake pipe (leading up just before the elbow used to exit the exterior wall)with a clear (or rigid) pvc line directed to a nearby floor drain. This is supposed to divert all condensation towards the floor drain and eliminate it from collecting in the unit itself.

I know of one person in the area that has had this installed (by a licensed pro) but is already on thier 3rd heat exchanger within 1 year. Bosch (the manufacturer) refuses to replace anymore for them b/c they say its installer error. I donno if this is just a problem with the Bosch tanks but its something I will have to look into before I decide to go ahead with the purchase and install of mine.

Anyone hear anything regarding this issue???

There is a guy on youtube who had the same problem (with a Bosch) but Im not sure where exactly he's from or if his unit was installed correctly.

what to do....
what to do....

Advertisement

57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote