Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tankless water heater - NEED HELP!

Hello everyone. I am in the process of buying my first home which has a water heater tank in the kitchen!!!! (takes too much space). I would like to buy a tankless water heater and convert the area into a pantry. Can I put the tankless water heater in the pantry since they are small??? Do they generate heat, niose???? Also, I have 2 bathrooms, with one bathroom having 2 sinks, a kitchen sink, washer and dryer, and dishwasher. Will the tankless be able to keep hot water say if 3 things are running?????? One more question; are they easy to install or do I have to have it professionally installed???
THANKS

LakersFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can put them in a small room, provided that the manufacturer-required working clearances are met and provided you have an exterior wall for the vent/intake to penetrate.

They'll typically require a larger gas line than a conventional tank.

For household use, a tankless should have no problem keeping up.

They aren't silent by any means. Probably somewhere between a furnace and a conventional gas-burning tank.

They aren't a DIY job. You really need to hire a pro to do it. They're rather complex compared to a conventional water heater.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 01:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

the person living in there has a gas burning tank in the kitchen in what it seems to be a pantry. if noise was not a problem for them and you're saying its quieter than a gas burning tank, then I think it should be ok. Are the air intake requirements the same as conventional??? Can I put the tankless in the interior wall of the pantry?
LakersFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 07:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

if your not opposed to it you could go to a tank less electric heater they are very quiet and can be put almost anywhere.If you concerned about them heating additional outlets it not much to modify the plumbing thats pretty much DIY stuff.I would advise going with a pro for the electrical part though.I ran two smaller ones together for now and they produce extremely hot water to one full bath the laundry room and the kitchen with DW and thats two adult and three kids
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

If your water heater is already electric, I would go ahead andinstall an electric tankless by yourself.

Gas tankless heaters are far superior in the amount of hot water they produce for multiple uses. If you don't have gas avaiable I would recommend a pro install it. If there is already gas and a reasonable place to vent it, go for it yourself.

P.S. Tankless will save you quite a bit of money. Too bad you didn't put it in last year. Uncle Sam would give you $300 back on your taxes !!!
panhandlion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clasact View Post
if your not opposed to it you could go to a tank less electric heater they are very quiet and can be put almost anywhere.If you concerned about them heating additional outlets it not much to modify the plumbing thats pretty much DIY stuff.I would advise going with a pro for the electrical part though.I ran two smaller ones together for now and they produce extremely hot water to one full bath the laundry room and the kitchen with DW and thats two adult and three kids
Tankless electric will probably require a huge electrical service upgrade to the house.

Most tankless will get you about 5gpm of water at full pressure. Shower is 2.2 GPM and a sink is 2.2 GPM...... do the math. People in Europe have been using them for YEARS, so obviously they work out fine. People have a hard time adjusting to the idea of reduced flow from their hot water system.

What happens when you have more than a 5gpm demand on the hot side? You'll just have reduced pressure. The water will still be hot, however.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 PM   #7

to be honest once I got rid of the old water heater and put the tankless in I got better water presure.Maybe the old one was just pluged up I dont know and also I am running smaller units to each part of the house that will need it.I put the main feed on a water manifold so as to feed each part and ran 3/4 pex to each then conected it to the required 1/2 in copper for connection to the inlet and outlet sides of the tank.As for the power supply all it took was some 220 wire ans a new breaker so far all is great with dont know why everyone is not useing them.It also droped my gas bill about 60 bucks a month electric only went up about 3 dollars
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

I had a gas tank, put in an electric tankless and love it; I too did it primarily for space savings. Size stems from what you use, not what you have. So you have 2 showers, 4 sinks, dishwasher, and a washing machine. What are the odds 2 people are showering while someone has clothes in the laundry and the dishwasher is running? That's for you to think about, not for us to tell you. I personally have 2 showers but no kids in the house, so there are never 2 showers running at the same time. The only issue we've encountered so far is in the dead of winter when the incoming water temp is icy.... yay for Michigan winters I bought a Delta high pressure - low flow shower head (about $30) and the problem is fixed; never can tell the difference. Note I didn't say low pressure, they're completely different. Good luck!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
As for the power supply all it took was some 220 wire ans a new breaker so far all is great with dont know why everyone is not useing them.

this is what I was referring to.

You can't just go out and buy an electric tankless MOST of the time. Sounds like you were lucky.
Old 06-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #10

why cant I just go out and buy one I did and can do it again ??????
Old 06-04-2008, 07:43 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 150

You have to make sure you have adequate power---often you need a dedicated circuit for an electric. If it's gas, a lot of them need 3/4 inflow. I just saw one that needed a special stainless steel vent pipe. I have no idea why.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:58 AM   #12

I was assuming he had the power to put one in guess thats what I get fro assuming right.If he did the hook up is relatively easy both electrical and plumbing
Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
DIY Junkie!!

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
why cant I just go out and buy one I did and can do it again ??????
Please read the link posted in Alan's post above--it is a true story posted by me. Just b/c you had adequate service to support one HWOD unit doesn't mean you can add a second--after you have read my story that Alan posted, you'll realize what an incredibly difficult issue this can be.

Alan, if you're watching this thread, I'd like to thank you for posting that link. I tried to PM you to say thanks, but I'm a forum noob and don't have enough posts to be able to use the PM function.

There's an old saying, "No man is totally worthless, they can always serve as a bad example". Sadly, I find myself in that situation now--hopefully someone else can avoid the cost, delays and aggravation that I have endured, all b/c I just jumped right in and bought before I investigated adequately. I don't mind being the bad example if it saves someone else all I have had (and have yet) to go through !!!!

One very frustrated Dugly

Last edited by YerDugliness; 06-04-2008 at 10:13 AM.
YerDugliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:40 AM   #14

Yerug,please don't get me wrong here I am not saying a home owner dose not have to check things out before he or she jumps into this.All I meant was if the had the power supply which I assumed he did it is not hard to hook one or even several up.The cost for buying tank less I found to be minimal and the installation as not expensive but I knew I had the power supply and was already re plumbing the house.Many HO cant simply pop one in as I did and have had bad experiences with it but I was only trying to show him how inexpensive it would be both on start up and in the long run.Any HO who didn't do their homework before a change like this would be sort of asking for trouble,but I guess thats one reason he is on here is to get the good and bad sides of a subject like this then he could check it out and make up his own mind
Old 06-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
Just b/c you had adequate service to support one HWOD unit doesn't mean you can add a second--after you have read my story that Alan posted, you'll realize what an incredibly difficult issue this can be.
I appreciate your story, I'm kinda confused though... how did you even decide on a unit if you didn't know how the power draw would relate to your house? That's like stepping off the edge of the Grand Canyon to get to the other side and neglecting that there's a canyon you need to go through first.

For large usages I agree with the previous posters, gas is probably more efficient. The original poster on the other hand, doesn't seem like they need a massive output, but that's an assumption on my part. I've only got 100amp service to my house, bought a 60amp unit for $250, plumbed and wired it myself, and we're golden. I did run a branch from the main cold line in when I plumbed it in though in case I need to add a second unit in the future (we're likely putting in another bathroom and kids are in the picture). Part of the timing of the decision to do so will be based on the cost of upgrading electrical service. I won't buy a bigger unit, I'll run an additional one parallel.

At the end of the day the theme is the same here, do your homework!!!

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote