DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Tankless water heater need expansion tank?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  TarheelTerp 
#1 ·
I recently bought a fairly old house. It turns out our water pressure is to high (around 82 PSI) and we need to install a pressure reducing valve.

With this installation we also need to make a few other changes in order to be brought up to code in the related systems (expansion tank installed and seismic straps installed).

I have been thinking about getting a tankless water heater anyways for the efficiency gain so I don't want to do any work that isn't needed. From what I understand, the reason for the expansion tank is so when the pressure inside the system increases (from steam, or some other issues) the water will go into the tank instead of backflow into the cities pipes.

My questions are, if I go with a tankless water heater, do I still need the expansion tank?

If I don't get the PRV, will that have an adverse effect on the efficiency of a tankless water heater because of a higher GPM?

#3 ·
TarheelTerp,
Thanks for your reply. What sort of other expensive jobs will be associated with installation of a tankless waterheater?

Either way, now I know I can proceed with these installations since it sounds like they will be needed whether or not I decide to move to a tankless water heater. :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.