Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #1

Share |

Tankless Water Heater Issue

I have had my Noritz propane tankless water heater for over 2 years now..... I have yet to have any problems with it. But one 'issue' that I have had is that it takes 60-90 seconds for my water to get hot to do the dishes, get a shower ready etc...

Is this normal? Or would it be an install problem? It has always been like that by the way.

Thoughts?

FYI. When It was installed I went with one that was more than enough for my 1100 square foot house so it is not because it's not powerful enough. It is big enough for a 2 bathroom house and I only have 1 bathroom

fjacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #2

It's probably just residual water that is in the pipes. How far away from the water heater are these fixtures?

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
It's probably just residual water that is in the pipes. How far away from the water heater are these fixtures?
Kind of hard to tell since the piping is hidden within the ceiling tiles.... But now that you bring it up, I guess that may be the issue.

I guess I'll have to live with it then.

Last edited by fjacky; 10-14-2008 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:58 AM   #4

Yup, that's the issue.

It isn't uncommon for people to install very small water heaters in or near the kitchen cabinets to get instant hot water while waiting for the lines between the tankless and the kitchen to get the hot water coming.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #5

This is typical of any water heater. The lines are filled with water that has lost temperature and needs to be purged before newly heated water can get to the fixture. The distance between the heater and the fixture determines the wait. Only way around this is to add a circulating pump. To me, this is an unnecessary expense (and lots more labor) for a smaller home. If I were to install one, it would be the type with a switch at the fixtures so the only time it was running was when water was needed. With these, you flip the switch, wait a few seconds, and then open the faucet.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #6

Any reason why after my water gets warm it goes freezing cold for 15 seconds or so. Not that great when in middle of shower.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

Tankless heaters need a certain minimum flowrate to activate. If your flow is right on the edge of that, it's possible for the heater to periodically turn off and back on. That's the blasts of cold water you are experiencing.

As for the time for hot water to reach the fixtures it is indeed a function of how far away the heater is. For various reasons, I had to mount my tankless in the attic, close to the master bath but a long way from the kitchen sink and dishwasher. Rather than a circulating pump, I'm going to install a small point-of-use heater in the crawl space just for the kitchen.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #8
Experienced

I looked at installing one of these a couple of years ago and for reasons you are experiencing I decided not to. The initial delay is from both the existing water in the pipes and the heater burner on cycle, once flow is established.

The biggest downfall was, if your flow drops below the minimum required the burner shuts off as it should and then has to reestablish once flow is above the minimum, this causes a large slug of cold water ahead of the hot water once the burner relights.

This being said the only way around this that I could come up with was to have a holding tank after the heater with a circulation pump and piping circuit back to the heater, this would garantee uniterupted hot water, but would throw the gained effeciency out the window.

So I decided to stick with what I had, works just fine if you don't have to take 25 min showers, or more than a couple of showers back to back.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #9
Chicago, IL

In my experience the "cold water sandwich" can also be the result of a marginal gas supply. I've twice been able to solve this problem (at my own residence and at a rental unit) by paying the gas company to replace the "just big enough" gas meter with a higher flow unit, scroll down to "Insufficient Gas Supply" here:

Marginal Gas Supply Can Cause Intermittent Operation Of Tankless Water Heaters

for more information.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 01-11-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
In my experience the "cold water sandwich' can also be the result of a marginal gas supply, I've twice been able to solve this problem (at my own residence and at a rental unit) by paying the gas company to replace the "just big enough" gas meter with a higher flow unit, scroll down to "Insufficient Gas Supply" here:

Marginal Gas Supply Can Cause Intermittent Operation Of Tankless Water Heaters

for more information.
Very good point!!!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 06:51 AM   #11

Well I'm on a well, and have always had pressure issues. Any way to increase pressure on a well system?
Old 01-12-2011, 12:11 PM   #12

Adjust the pump's pressure switch to a higher setting.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
Adjust the pump's pressure switch to a higher setting.
Is that switch on the submersible pump?