Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #1

Share |

tankless water heater

Hey guys i ordered a tankless water heater for my 1300sq ft condo off of home depot the other day. It is a GE 7.5gpm indoor water heater model #GN75DNSRA. im planning on installing it myself, it is a natural gas model, my existing water heater is electric, the gas line however runs directly through the utility room and to the furnace and also supplies a fireplace. as far as wiring the electrical and plumbing the water lines to the unit and installing the concentric vent that is easy , the gas line setup seemed like it would be easy as well to have someone come out and T the line off and install a sediment trap and flexible line to the heater per the instruction manual, however when i called a place today to get a quote on cutting the pipe and T'n it off for me, i was told because of the high demand of these units i would need to run a dedicated gas line for this unit. Can the experinced hands here give me some input as to whether this is true, i thought i had everything handled from the vent, to water lines etc... but this seems contradicting to what the manual shows and what else i have read. But need to make sure this is done right. Thanks guys.

Last edited by brewmastr; 01-08-2011 at 01:10 AM.
brewmastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
Master Electrician

tankless water heater

If the size of the line you are tapping into is not large enough for the existing appliances and the new unit then there may be an issue.

brric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
Experienced

tankless water heater

If we had the size of your furnace and fireplace in btu input we could tell what size the line would have to be.

What size is the existing line?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM   #4

tankless water heater

ok guys the furnance maximum input it 75k btu and the fireplace maximum input is 20k btu, the instructions for the water heater say it needs 180k btu's so that puts total btu's at 275,000 btu's. the total piping run is around 15 feet total from the meter to the furnace and fireplace it basically comes thru the wall right next to them. there is a long run of piping to the upstairs for a natural gas dryer but that is capped off and i can remove that pipe, however i dont think it matters because the pipe is 3/4 inch and according to this chart http://www.paragoninspects.com/image...ping-sizes.jpg i do not have proper supply for the demanded btu's of the tankless water heater to begin with. I went outside and looked at the supply to my gas meter and it is 3/4 inch pipe as well going into the meter, replacing the gas line in the house to 1 inch would be an easy few hours of work. however i just need to know what is the best option to tackle this problem, do i need to have the gas company run 1 inch from the curb up to a new meter and then run 1 inch into the house? I know an experinced hand here will have the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Experienced

tankless water heater

Well from the road to the meter there is nothing which needs to be done however, you will need to get a company in there (not the gas company) to run 1-1/4" from the meter into the house, when they are there you should have them pipe the new water heater.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:35 PM   #6

tankless water heater

as far as hiring someone for the small pipe run in the house it seems pointless, something very easy for diy how its done, my question is if the outlet out of the meter is 3/4" do i just use a 3/4" to 1 1/4" adaptor or is there something that needs to be changed on the meter itself?
Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #7
Experienced

tankless water heater

The meter will undoubtedly have a reducing street L on it, change that out and you should be good to go, as far as doing gas piping DIY most will advise against it, as this kind of work requires a license and experience.

If you have the experience, go for it, I am sure you are aware of all the dangers involved in a failed system and I am sure you will do all the proper leak testing to garantee a safe installation.

Good luck!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #8

tankless water heater

thanks for your advice, ill look into getting a quote if its reasonable i will have the work performed. The gas company will come out and do inspections for free so i would certainly have them come out and check, but it seems that using pipe dope on all connections and spraying with soapy water would be good method for self checking for leaks? I am a auto technician for mercedes by trade and good with my hands and have done almost everything in this condo myself updating it from 1978 to 2010 lol, looking at this gas line its a very simple run through the wall and along side the wall to the furnace and fireplace.