Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Tankless water heater

My old tank type natural gas water heater is 15 years old and I'm thinking about going for a tankless model. The only problem is the cost...plumbers I've spoken to are asking anywhere from $2500 and up for the install.

My install seems pretty straight forward I would mount the unit on a wall and vent horizontally out an adjacent wall, my 3/4" hot and cold water lines are right below and I have 3/4" gas that I have to extend about 6'.

I've been researching some of the brands like Rheem, Rinnai, Takasi, etc. and came across an off- brand called EZTankless. They sell a model called the EZ Deluxe, which comes with the SS vent pipe for under $500.

Anyone have experience with this brand..good or bad?

philcjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:51 AM   #2

Tankless water heater

Did the plumbers mention if your gas line would have to be changed? Many of these units require larger gas feeds for the increased capacity.

jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #3

Tankless water heater

Tankless heaters are very complex. This is truly a "you get what you pay for" situation. With the exception of the gas line needing to be extended, and the vent pipe (which will need to extend above the roof) the installation should not be difficult. Rinnai seems to have the approval I see most among tankless units. This is not something you want to be replacing often. Make sure there are repair people in your area in case there is a problem. Many Plumbers will install them, but do not do warranty or any other repair work. Also be aware of the proper size unit you need to supply your water needs. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #4

Tankless water heater

Thanks for the replies.

jerryh3, I have 3/4" gas already, which is stepped down to 1/2" for my tank type heater, so I should be able to extend the line in steel pipe.

Good advice, majakdragon, and I think you hit the nail on the head about plumbers not wanting to get involved with guarantees and call backs on these units. Rinnai was the brand recommended by the plumbers I spoke to.
BTW, the horizontal venting dosen't need to go up and clear the roof it just vents outside the wall.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #5

Tankless water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcjr View Post
My old tank type natural gas water heater is 15 years old and I'm thinking about going for a tankless model. The only problem is the cost...plumbers I've spoken to are asking anywhere from $2500 and up for the install.

My install seems pretty straight forward I would mount the unit on a wall and vent horizontally out an adjacent wall, my 3/4" hot and cold water lines are right below and I have 3/4" gas that I have to extend about 6'.

I've been researching some of the brands like Rheem, Rinnai, Takasi, etc. and came across an off- brand called EZTankless. They sell a model called the EZ Deluxe, which comes with the SS vent pipe for under $500.

Anyone have experience with this brand..good or bad?
I did a lot of research on tankless units before installing one in my new log home. I'd be very wary of a unit costing less than $500. Most I looked into were more than twice that much just for the heater. My vent piping and service valve kit alone were nearly $500.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:30 PM   #6

Tankless water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcjr View Post
Thanks for the replies.

jerryh3, I have 3/4" gas already, which is stepped down to 1/2" for my tank type heater, so I should be able to extend the line in steel pipe.

Good advice, majakdragon, and I think you hit the nail on the head about plumbers not wanting to get involved with guarantees and call backs on these units. Rinnai was the brand recommended by the plumbers I spoke to.
BTW, the horizontal venting dosen't need to go up and clear the roof it just vents outside the wall.

the fact that you have a 3/4" gas pipe near it doesn't mean anything.. you have to size the whole system. the old heater used about 40k btu at the most and your new one will be like 199k btu a huge difference. I doubt you have the piping to support that. you have to have the proper sizing to meet the demands of all your appliances. If you try to just hookup to a 3/4" pipe and you don't have a large enough trubk from the meter you will not get enough hot water.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:56 AM   #7

Tankless water heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
the fact that you have a 3/4" gas pipe near it doesn't mean anything.. you have to size the whole system. the old heater used about 40k btu at the most and your new one will be like 199k btu a huge difference. I doubt you have the piping to support that. you have to have the proper sizing to meet the demands of all your appliances. If you try to just hookup to a 3/4" pipe and you don't have a large enough trubk from the meter you will not get enough hot water.
OK, so I guess I'll have to contact the Gas Co. to be sure I have the proper service.

The more I look into this, the less favorable the tankless is looking.