Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tankless HW heater in DC area?

I have been gathering estimates for a tankless hot water heater for my home in the Washington, DC area. I have checked online and know that full-size units can be purchased for between $700 and $1200, in general, but have gotten estimates for $3500-$4000. I have also looked at the installation instructions and know that the job does not warrant the kind of mark-up (250%), including reasonable labor costs.

I am willing to purchase the heater as well as any additional parts; I am looking only for the installation labor. If there is a licensed plumber in MD who would consider my project for a reasonable installation cost (perhaps as a side job on a Sunday) it would be much appreciated. Please feel free to respond to shrinkwrap321@gmail.com. Thanks.

shrinkwrap321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
the Musigician

hi... this IS a DIY site.... why not try it yourself with the help of all these great guys here?
save yourself the $$$!!!

DM

Old 03-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

I am most concerned about the "surprises" that inevitably happen in an unfamiliar job like this. The thought of getting stuck without hot water because I am missing a small part (always happens that way) is not very appealing.

I am also happy to pay a plumber to mess with the gas line, which I have never worked with before.
shrinkwrap321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #4

This is a DIY site, not a referral service for contractors. We cannot permit it to be used as such, and that isn't negotiable.

The labor rates you're being quoted may be high, but be aware that there is a considerable amount of labor involved in the installation of a tankless system. The gasline almost always needs to be replaced with a larger size than was required to feed a tank unit, and it is much much much more involved than the installation of a conventional water heater. Labor rates typically justify that. From my exerience, some DIYers can handle it, most cannot.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Chicago, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrinkwrap321 View Post
I am most concerned about the "surprises" that inevitably happen in an unfamiliar job like this.
I have gas fired tankless water heaters at my home, my office and at 3 of our rentals. They can work well, but we encountered a many problems when installing them, mostly because the plumbers / hvac contractors were not familiar with their installation requirements.

Iíve put up this page describing some of the installation issues I have encountered, and how to resolve them here:

Tankless Water Heater Installation FAQ - Paragon Home Inspections Evanston / Chicago / Skokie / Wilmette / Morton Grove / Glenview / Northbrook / Ilinois

---------

Home Inspection: "A business with illogically high liability, slim profit margins and limited economies of scale. An incredibly diverse, multi-disciplined consulting service, delivered under difficult in-field circumstances, before a hostile audience in an impossibly short time frame, requiring the production of an extraordinarily detailed technical report, almost instantly, without benefit of research facilities or resources." - Alan Carson
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
hi... this IS a DIY site.... why not try it yourself with the help of all these great guys here?
save yourself the $$$!!!

DM
If the OP is in Maryland, he can't DIY any plumbing.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #7
the Musigician

well that just sux.... i'm glad i live where i can do it ALL myself and save the $$$!!!

DM