Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

Tankless HW Heater

I am about to install a new tankless hot water heater and I have a few questions. The tankless heater I am installing is the Ecoboost 27. This particular unit requires 3 x 40 Amp DP breakers. It also requires that each run be done with 8 - 2 wire. Since the current WH is about 40 feet from my service panel I would need to run approx 150+ feet of wire. In order to avoid this I am contemplating relocating the tankless unit so that it is closer to the electrical panel. If I move the tankless to a new location and add approx 40 feet of pex tubing to my hot water line will this cause me to have to wait longer to get hot water to my bathrooms? The unit takes approx 45 - 60 seconds to deliver hot water even in the most ideal situation. would 45-60 seconds be long enough for the water to circulate through the additional piping? My next question is in regards to the existing expansion tank. Can I simple leave it alone? My understanding is that it wont do any harm if left with a tankless set up. What about if I move the unit 40 feet away? Can I still leave the expanision tank where it is?

Sent from my iPad using DIY Forum

justinramani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
Master Plumber

Tankless HW Heater

I recommend you consult an electrician before adding that many additional amps to your system, i see homeowners with all kinds of issues with tank-less electric water heaters, mainly electrical, don't expect savings on your power bill. i would never recommend tank less unless its gas,

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #3

Tankless HW Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
I recommend you consult an electrician before adding that many additional amps to your system, i see homeowners with all kinds of issues with tank-less electric water heaters, mainly electrical, don't expect savings on your power bill. i would never recommend tank less unless its gas,
I second that thought especially in the colder areas of the nation.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote