Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2007, 06:50 PM   #1

Share |

Tankless hot water heater???

I recently relocated from Detroit to Lewisburg, WV and am beginning the process of building a home. My best estimate is that we will break ground in approx. 2 weeks.

I would like to take advantage of the recent energy act (tax credits) and install an efficient tankless hot water system. I also like the idea of being a better environmental steward.

There is no natural gas at my building location so I will probably be installing an underground propane tank.

The builder that I am dealing with has told me that the tankless units are not ideal for this county as there are above average mineral counts in the local water supply. My new home will have a hookup to city water so there will be some filtering. The builder went on to say that most units will only last approx. 3 years. I am not sure if his experience with these units is based on older, more limited models, or the more recent technology.

I have done a good bit of research on these units and have found some with warranties far beyond 3 years. I have also read that changing out the heating element is very simple and can be performed with only a screwdriver.

This is the house plan that we are building from:

http://www.eplans.com/house-plans.hw...39959&offset=0

I am going to add a full bath to the bonus room. So my idea was to install 2 tankless units on each side of the house. The MB will have a jacuzzi tub.

UNIT 1: BR 2 sink, BR 3 sink, Bathroom 2 tub/shower, Bonus room bath (sink, shower).

UNIT 2: Kitchen sink, Washer/dryer, 1/2 bath sink, Master BR (double-sinks, shower, jacuzzi tub)

QUESTIONS:
1.) Will it be worth it to install tankless units in spite of the builder's advice?
2.) Can a water filtration system aid in the longevity of the tankless units?
3.) What specific minerals will have to be contained to prevent deterioration?
4.) Will the higher cost of propane limit the systems cost effectiveness.
5.) Will I have a potential issue with sediment clogging faucets and showerheads even though city water will be utilized?
6.) Can you use the tankless units with a PEX plumbing system?
7.) Will unit 2 above be sufficient or should I consider a point-of-use module to dedicate to the jacuzzi tub?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

psychocandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:41 PM   #2
Jurneyman/Master Plumber

Tankless hot water heater???

There are lots of things to be considered in using a tankless. Your house would not be a bad house for a dual tank system. You have to look at install costs versus energy savings and see if they are efficient enough. They are usually expensive to put in. Filter systems can be used, your not really looking for corrosive minerals, more mineral buildup. You may have an issue with sediment clogging faucets, but then again a filter system would help. Pex can be used with a tankless water heater. but you have to pipe directly off of it with copper. Careful with the point-of-use model, Check the temp. and flow rate.

PlumbinginIA is offline   Reply With Quote