Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #1

Share |

Tankless Hot Water Heater

I use a rental gas fired hot water heater. Its age is unknown to me, as it was in place when I bought the house two years ago.
I have had 3 service calls on this unit since I've been here.
My complaint is the elapsed time, before a tech comes by, to make a repair.
I'm considering buying my own heater and am wondering about buying a tankless model.
The house is a small bungalo and only two of us live here!
We need H/W for the dish washer and sink in the kitchen. And have 2 baths. One 4 piece and one 3 piece.
I'm looking for advice on the merits of tankless heaters and what size would I would need!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:16 AM   #2
DIYer

Gimmick way to waste a lot of electricity. Get a little tank heater.

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
Gimmick way to waste a lot of electricity. Get a little tank heater.
How does a gas water heater waste a lot of electricity?
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:24 AM   #4

The size you need depends on two main things, the amount of water you need and the incoming temperature of the water. Tankless are rated to boost the temp so many degrees for a certain volume. So incoming water at 50 needs a bigger unit then an incoming water of 60. Go to any tankless supplier site and they will probably have rating for the units and possibly even a calculator to determine which unit you need.
joed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #5

The average for most folks is about 150,000 btu's.

With a small household like yours a tankless this size would be perfect. When you don't need it there is no water heating or trying to stay warm.

If you like baths this will fill the bath slower than you are used to. No big deal, but it does take some getting used to.

I have had a tankless for 4 years and wouldn't go back.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:49 PM   #6
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
How does a gas water heater waste a lot of electricity?
I thought he was chucking the gas for electric. I guess I misread.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Even then. How does an electric tankless waste electricity?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:29 PM   #8

Quote:
I did neglect to say that I would like to replace my gas heater with a GAS tankless.

A sin of omission! My apologies!
Old 10-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
The average for most folks is about 150,000 btu's.

With a small household like yours a tankless this size would be perfect. When you don't need it there is no water heating or trying to stay warm.

If you like baths this will fill the bath slower than you are used to. No big deal, but it does take some getting used to.

I have had a tankless for 4 years and wouldn't go back.
Well, I haven't had a bath in years (my friends are starting to complain! ) So, I guess that this isn't a prob.
Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Well, I haven't had a bath in years (my friends are starting to complain! ) So, I guess that this isn't a prob.
Are you Al Bundy???

Getting a tankless is a good move. Before you go that route look at the state rebates for the various models. Some are significant. In Oregon there is a rebate, tax credit (both federal and state) that add up to $640.

That alone is reason to go that route.
Old 10-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
DIYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryh3 View Post
Even then. How does an electric tankless waste electricity?
Do you sell them?

Tankless, especially electric, lose efficiency because you'll be running the water longer waiting for it to heat up. If you have a well pump, that's 1000-2000 extra watts to pump that water up for however many extra seconds, every time you turn a faucet on. With a tank heater, you might need to run a few seconds in the morning or when you get home from work, but that's it. If you insulate your hot water pipes, even better.

And that's assuming your electrical service can even deal with the massive current draw of a tankless (100+ amps!)

Conventional tank heaters are pretty efficient these days. Even if you do get ahead in efficiency, this link says it could take 22 years to make up the cost difference.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...heaters-ov.htm

I looked into these tankless a while back and decided it just wasn't worth it. A little insulation on your hot water pipes would probably be a better project if you want to save power.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Do you sell them?

Tankless, especially electric, lose efficiency because you'll be running the water longer waiting for it to heat up. If you have a well pump, that's 1000-2000 extra watts to pump that water up for however many extra seconds, every time you turn a faucet on. With a tank heater, you might need to run a few seconds in the morning or when you get home from work, but that's it. If you insulate your hot water pipes, even better.

And that's assuming your electrical service can even deal with the massive current draw of a tankless (100+ amps!)

Conventional tank heaters are pretty efficient these days. Even if you do get ahead in efficiency, this link says it could take 22 years to make up the cost difference.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/a...heaters-ov.htm

I looked into these tankless a while back and decided it just wasn't worth it. A little insulation on your hot water pipes would probably be a better project if you want to save power.
That's a lot different than saying it's "a gimmicky way to waste a lot electricity." There are positives and negatives to both systems.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #13

I've been checking out the Bosch heaters and even had a look at the installation manual.
There are several venting requirements that I cannot conform to, so I have decided to focus on the purchase of a conventional power vented heater.
Another concern that I have is that my input water temperature is about 40 degrees in the winter. The Bosch unit can only supply an increase of 70 degrees. This would be a temperature of only 110 F. Which wouldn't be adequate for the dish washer.
Thank you, Everyone! for your comments. They have been very informative.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
Compulsive DIYer

I've got a Bosch Tankless heater (it was about the cheapest I could find). I had the same temperature concerns that you have. My incoming temp in the winter is in the mid to low 40's as well, but I decided to gamble. I've found that the heater functions better than advertised. It always heats the water much higher than I can stand. I do have a couple of minor complaints. I'm on a well with a pressure tank. When the pump kicks on to charge the tank, the temperature fluctuates slightly. Therefore, when showering I have to adjust the temperature regularly. That's why I keep the temp setting higher than necessary. Also, when we get extreme winds, the pilot lite occasionally blows out. If I had it to do over again, I'd get one with an electronic ignition.
Thalweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:43 PM   #15

We have a Bosch gas tankless with electronic ignition and love the never-ending supply of hot water - shower as long as you want, readily fill the big soaker tub, etc. Water temperature is not a problem, but living in a year-round warm climate we don't have the cold water to start issue.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote