Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2011, 07:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tankless Hot Water Heater

Daughter and son-in-law are considering converting their Gas hot water heater to a tank less system. Question, even running on natural gas, if electrical power is lost will the system still heat water?

vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 16

No, it needs power for the controls.
On the surface and from all the hipe it's easy to see why someone would want to use a tankless heater.
But in real life the very high cost of the unit and price to have it installed would mean you would have to use it for about 20 years before any payback.
Unless you have perfect water it's going to mess up. It turns on when it sinces flow, the sincers get mineral build up and stop working over time and will need service.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

been.at this 30+yrs still can't sale me on tankless....do way to much repair work on them to even want to trust them.....to many problems....honest facts...ben
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Check pricing on amazon.com and look at the bottom where customers comment on the ones they have bought. Lots of them had them taken out because of so much trouble with them. So this is not just hear say info.
I'm surprized a plumber did not suggest you get one, we sure could use the money people have to pay to get them fixed. lol
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 05:49 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 0

As I suspected, passed your comments on to the kids. Thanks and a Merry Cristmas and Prosperous New Year from S. E. Virginia.
vabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No, it needs power for the controls.
On the surface and from all the hipe it's easy to see why someone would want to use a tankless heater.
But in real life the very high cost of the unit and price to have it installed would mean you would have to use it for about 20 years before any payback.
Unless you have perfect water it's going to mess up. It turns on when it sinces flow, the sincers get mineral build up and stop working over time and will need service.
Pretty much sums up what my research told me.

If your using electric, then a tankless has a decent payback....but when comparing tankless to a gas tank water heater....ends up being about 20 years....or pretty much the life of the tankless unit.....and that is assuming you don't have issues with it. At best, a tankless is maybe 10% more effecient than a traditional gas water heater.

The best value is to go with a good quality 12 year gas water heater....should last about 20 years.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote