Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2012, 10:05 AM   #1

Share |

Tankless hot water

Hello everyone,

My hot water tank has sprung a leak for the second time in three years. So, since I have to tear out the whole subfloor now, I was wondering about installing a tankless system. My main concern is that, from what I've read, reviews are mixed; mostly on the negative side. It seems like the tankless systems require a minimum of 2.5 GPM in order to cut on, which would be ok for high draw applications like showers, dishwashers, etc. But for low flow apps. like washing hands or shaving, this could be a problem. Oh, the heat source in my house is natural gas.

Any thoughts/opinions?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by grumpyhessian; 05-21-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: wanted to add more detail.
grumpyhessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Tankless hot water

When our water heater went out DH also wanted to consider a tankless. Along with the concerns you already mentioned, research placement requirements; Where are you going to put it? How close can it be to flammable materials etc. I didn't really want one, but that was the deal breaker for us because there wasn't a place we could put it if we wanted it.
If you stick with a tank model install a water heater drain pan underneath.

Last edited by Blondesense; 05-21-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #3

Tankless hot water

If you've had two hot water heater leaks in three years, your water must be pretty acidic. Have you ever had it tested? If it's acidic or high in mineral content, it will destroy a tankless unit in short order. We found while researching what to buy that some companies won't even install a tankless in a house with bad water unless a softener is also installed.

We have a gas tankless and love it. I do not know precisely the minimum flow to activate it, but I can tell you it's nowhere near 2.5 gpm.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #4

Tankless hot water

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
If you've had two hot water heater leaks in three years, your water must be pretty acidic. Have you ever had it tested? If it's acidic or high in mineral content, it will destroy a tankless unit in short order. We found while researching what to buy that some companies won't even install a tankless in a house with bad water unless a softener is also installed.
To add to md2lgyk's informative reply:
Maybe consider installing a Rheem Marathon water heater. It's made out of polybutene so won't rust or corrode and will stand up to brutal water conditions. Touted to be the last water heater you will buy for your home. Here's a link to a brochure on the Marathon water heater.

http://www.rheem.com/documents/marat...athon-brochure

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 03:46 PM   #5

Tankless hot water

Wow, I've never seen anything like those. But if your water has eaten up two water heaters in three years, what's it doing to your piping? And your appliances that use water? My daughter's father-in-law just replaced all the copper piping in his entire house because his water ate pinhole leaks in it everywhere. He built his own house (like we did) so was capable of doing the work, but it was still an expensive pain in the you-know-what.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Tankless hot water

I'm not so sure that there's anything wrong with the water. My house is 50 years old and none of the copper pipe is leaking. The dishwasher I installed two years ago is still working fine, and so is the washing machine we bought two years ago. The water heater that was in the house when we bought it back in '07 was 12 years old after it developed a pin hole leak in the bottom of the tank. My theory is that GE (this model is actually made by Rheem for GE) had a run of bad tanks; I think it's faulty welds.

Anyway, I'm not completely sold on the idea of tankless water heaters, and I know that the better a water tank is insulated, the less it cycles the burner, so it's pretty efficient anyway. I just don't want to spend a pile of extra $$$ for something I won't be happy with.

Thanks for the tip on the Rheem Marathon water heater. I'm going to look into that.

Thanks for all your input guys. I guess at this point I have to get my @ss in gear and start tearing out a subfloor

grumpyhessian is offline   Reply With Quote