Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

Yesterday I rebuilt two of my toilets with Moen kits. Everything is functioning fine however this morning I noticed that there was water slowly sweating from the TOP of tank-to-bowl gasket when I checked with a flashlight. The bottom of the gasket that meets the bowl is fine.

I originally hand tightened the large white plastic nut that holds the flapper and drain tube assembly down. I took the tank off and tightened this white plastic nut as tight as I could safely go without cracking the tank(cannot be untightened by hand any longer).

Since I had the tank off I decided to fill it up in the bath tub without the tank-to-bowl gasket on. Water seeps out around the nut threads as there is nothing sealing the threads. The instructions specifically say not to seal these threads with Teflon tape of joint compound.

I put everything back together and the only difference is that the nut is slightly tighter. I don't see any leaks yet, but if I poke the tank-to-bowl gasket with a q-tip water starts to come out as this gasket is the only thing holding the water in. Is this the purpose of these gaskets? I also tightened the tank wingnuts as tight as I could by hand. Is this too tight?

Last edited by n0c7; 12-30-2010 at 08:57 PM.
n0c7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 AM   #2

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

Do you have rubber or fiber washers between the bolt heads and the tank, "inside" of the tank? That's where the water seal occurs.

Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:05 AM   #3

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

Rubber washers. The leak is occurring at the flapper gasket.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #4

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

The tank-to-bowl gasket is not the issue. There should be a tapered gasket between the flush valve and the tank (inside the tank) I would bet that is where your problem is
SuperPlumberGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperPlumberGuy For This Useful Post:
n0c7 (01-02-2011)
Old 12-31-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

You're right, that's where it's leaking from. I had purchased a Moen rebuild kit and was having nothing but issues including this gasket. I went out and bought a Fluidmaster kit which has a much nicer gasket and for $3 more is just a nicer set of parts overall. I had to use a wrench to tighten the drain tube assembly to get the new Fluidmaster gasket to stop leaking whereas even at almost cracking point the Moen gasket still leaked. I have the tank off the bowl sitting full of water in the bathtub as a test right now to see if any of the seals leak. Will report back.
Old 12-31-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
Chicago, IL

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

An easy extra step which has solved "mystery" tank leaks for me in the past: if the interior bottom of the tank is not perfectly smooth,

take a bit of emery paper and smooth the bottom around the bolt holes, and if you are replacing it, the valve.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
n0c7 (01-02-2011)
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #7

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPlumberGuy View Post
The tank-to-bowl gasket is not the issue. There should be a tapered gasket between the flush valve and the tank (inside the tank) I would bet that is where your problem is
That's where it was, thanks!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:05 PM   #8

Tank-to-bowl gasket help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
An easy extra step which has solved "mystery" tank leaks for me in the past: if the interior bottom of the tank is not perfectly smooth, take a bit of emery paper and smooth the bottom around the bolt holes, and if you are replacing it, the valve.
Worked like a charm, made the next tank rebuild much easier!