Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Share |

Takes forever to get hot water

Recently moved into a two story town house with PEX plumbing. They installed the manifold on the second floor, water heater in the garage. The kitchen and downstairs bathroom take forever to get hot water. I cannot understand why they put the manifold on the 2nd floor.
So, I want to get water from the heater to the kitchen directly by teeing off at the water heater and running a direct line to the kitchen sink. I can live with not having fast hot at the bathroom. One problem I see is if I do this then as soon as I open the kitchen faucet the water from the hot line going upstairs is going to drain back to the 1st floor and I may not solve the problem. I am thinking that I need some sort of check valve on the line going upstairs to prevent the drain back into the line I am going to install. Any thoughts??

Cahriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:19 PM   #2

Let me make some assumptions, the water heater is in an unheated garage, there's no insulation on the outgoing Pex.
A simple fix would be to add a cirulating pump. But I also would insulate the lines.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #3

Water heater is in an unheated garage but the lines are insulated and run up an exterior insulated wall.
Cahriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

You would not need a check valve. Even if youhad a check valve, if there isn't enough pressure then the (upstairs) faucets and bathroom will go weak when you open a (downstair)s kitchen faucet.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-01-2011 at 06:56 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #5

You could run a line to the kitchen, then to the bathroom, then back to the water heater and place a pump on it. Then the pump would constantly circulate hot water through the lines.

Or a direct line from the kitchen to the water heater.

Or you can get electric instant water heaters which will fit under a sink. These do not take up much room, but you would need to add a new electrical circuit.
Billy_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

http://www.amazon.com/Watts-500800-P.../dp/B000E78XHG

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote