Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2010, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Symmons Temptrol shower goes cold quickly

Hi,

I have a Symmons Temptrol shower and in the last month or so, the shower starts getting cold after 1 or 2 minutes. I have to keep turning and turning the dial to keep the water hot. I don't think it's the hot water heater because it's not even a year old and elsewhere in the house there is still hot water when this happens.

I just replaced the spindle (part T-10 I think) and no change. Furthermore, I don't think it's that limit screw because I can get hot water initially and I can eventually turn the dial almost a full revolution.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Justin

justinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:13 AM   #2

Pressure balance faucets work on the principle that both sides have equal pressure. If ones side has lower pressre the valve shuts down the opposite side to compensate. If you replaced the cartdridge, then there may be a blockage on the hot side. Sometimes calcium or debri will build up a shutoff valves or reduced orifices. Make sure all shutoff valves are full open, cycle them off/on. Remove the cartridge and open each shutoff for a second. Water will gush out so make sure shower curtain or similar is closed. This should blow debris out of the pipes.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #3
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

With pressure balance, the entire thing will shut down if there is no hot coming through, unless it's a problem with the balancing spool. Since you've replaced the entire cartridge, i'd rule that out, but it wouldn't hurt to check it again. Make sure it moves freely when you shake it.

The only other thing I can think of is if somehow another nearby faucet is crossing over and your shower is pulling from the cold on that faucet because it's a shorter distance?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:49 AM   #4

Hi guys,

A plumber on another forum had me run the washing machine on hot and see if it remained hot the whole time. I did and it was extremely hot at first and by the end it was warm.

He then figured a single valve faucet was causing problems and had me turn the shutoffs on all single valve faucets. I did that, took a shower, and I had to adjust the shower much less to keep it hot but still had to adjust it nonetheless. Does this help at all?

Also, if the hot side was obstructed at the shower, wouldn't it not get very hot to begin with?

Thanks,
Justin
justinv is offline   Reply With Quote