Sweating Hosebibs Flush With Outside Wall - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-22-2009, 10:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sweating hosebibs flush with outside wall

I'm doing the plumbing trim on a cabin I'm building and have an interesting delema. The rough-in plumbers left five 1/2" copper stubouts for hose bibs. My problem, how can I sweat on a hosebib flush with the wall so I can screw the flange to the siding.

I bought 5 threaded copper couplers and 5 threaded quarter-turn hose bibs. It looks like the closed I can get is about an inch from the siding. Not good!

Also, I can't get behind the wall from the other side because there already finished.

Is there such a thing as filler that I could put in between?

Any ideas?

Advertisement

bobkattkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

I think you are calling 1/2" copper male adaptors "threaded copper couplers". If thats the case cut the copper 1/2-3/4" out from the siding and sweat one of your 1/2" male adaptors on the stub. Make sure ALL the water has dripped out though. Then apply 4-5 turns of Teflon tape to the threads of the male adaptor and tighten the hose bib on by hand. Measure the distance between the siding and the back of the hose bib, cut a block of treated wood at that thickness and that is 4-6" square. Drill a hole 3/4" in diameter in the exact center of the block. Now remove the hose bib and the chewed up tape. Retape the adaptor with 4-5 turns of teflon tape. Center the block on the stub and using 2 1/2 to 3" course drywall screws fasten the block to the siding. Now put the hose bib back on and grip the flats on the valve body with a 12" cresent wrench and tighten the hose bib securely. DON'T BACK UP. Now use 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" drywall screws to fasten the hose bib to the block.

Advertisement

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #3

Thanks. That does sound like the only option I have.

Regards.
Old 04-22-2009, 02:35 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,370

I would suggest you not use drywall screws as the will rust. Use Treated or plated screws instead.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:52 PM   #5

Thanks.