Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #1

Share |

SW Florida Well Water System Maintenance

Well systems are new to me. I have even doing much research online and YouTube about the care, maint and description of operation. However, I believe I am still lacking.

I have a well that feeds a bladder tank, a 40/60 pressure switch, then to an aerator. The aerator has a chlorine injector tank that sprays a chlorine mixture when the aerator float level drops..signaling water to be fed into the tank. From there I have a water softener and lastly another tank like the water softener that I was told is a carbon filter to remove the chlorine (it back washes just like the water softener does).

I know to check the bladder tanks with no water pressure and set to 2-3 psi below my pressure ditch cut ins (40 psi..so set to 37-38 psi). I know I need to add salt to the brine tank..keeping it 1/2 to 2/3 full. (however, how do I know what type of salt. A video on you tube from Cape Coral/fort Myers talks about different color bags depending on where you live. They also talk about adding bleach OR citric acid to the salt tank)....do I ..and which type?

Then there's the chlorine tank...what type..where's the least expensive place to purchase and do I add water? How do I test the concentration in the aerator? Can I use my pool testing kit for a certain chlorine level?

Lastly, how do I know if the carbon media in my last carbon filter needs to be replaced? Where do I purchase?

I'm assuming based off the lack of post on this subject, most may pay a company to perform some of this. However, I like to know my home and it's equipment and do my own PMCS (Preventative Maint, checks and service)...old habits dies hard

Thanks

ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Water Treatment

SW Florida Well Water System Maintenance

If you are looking at Well maintenance then your best bet to have it done right would be to have the well driller that did drilled the well do a work over of the well as they can get the well back to what it was when it was first done. Often they use chemicals and mechanical ways of doing do to clean the well in ways that the home owner can not.
http://www.subsurfacetech.com/aqua-freed-process
This is what I am talking about, the better the well the simpler the treatment system and the easier it is the maintain the treatment equipment.

Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote