Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Supporting a Pressure Regulating Valve

I recently upgraded my meter to house line to support a sprinkler system. As a side effect, a number of valves have once again started causing noticeable water hammer in my PEX manifold. Thus I've grabbed a pressure reducing value to get the water hammer under control (Watts LF25AUB-Z3).

The best place I can think to put the value is on a vertical run of pex leading up to the manifold for the house. Given the weight of the valve, I'm hesitant to have the pex providing the only means of support. Unfortunately, the valve doesn't have any support means designed into it (screw holes, etc.). Also watt's installation instructions don't say anything about supporting the valve.

I'm thinking the best way to support it, would be to transition from pex to a 6" copper nipple underneath the value. And use two pipe clamps to secure that nipple to the wall.

So my questions:
1) Should 1" PEX be able to support the 6.5 lb weight of the valve without additional support? (a.k.a. Am I being too cautious/over thinking this)
2) Is there a better way to support the valve?

a_lost_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_lost_shadow View Post
I recently upgraded my meter to house line to support a sprinkler system. As a side effect, a number of valves have once again started causing noticeable water hammer in my PEX manifold. Thus I've grabbed a pressure reducing value to get the water hammer under control (Watts LF25AUB-Z3).

The best place I can think to put the value is on a vertical run of pex leading up to the manifold for the house. Given the weight of the valve, I'm hesitant to have the pex providing the only means of support. Unfortunately, the valve doesn't have any support means designed into it (screw holes, etc.). Also watt's installation instructions don't say anything about supporting the valve.

I'm thinking the best way to support it, would be to transition from pex to a 6" copper nipple underneath the value. And use two pipe clamps to secure that nipple to the wall.

So my questions:
1) Should 1" PEX be able to support the 6.5 lb weight of the valve without additional support? (a.k.a. Am I being too cautious/over thinking this)
2) Is there a better way to support the valve?
I don't think your overthinking it at all...good idea to support valve .. using a 6" nipple will work out just fine.....the 1" pex would hold it but may shake some...support it...good job...ben

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 0

Good idea about using a nipple as an anchor point, but I'd use a brass one at both ends. Brass offers better corrosion resistance than copper.
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote