Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2010, 10:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Supply shutoffs leaking!

I installed new shutoffs after installing new vanity. I installed female angle shutoffs onto male cpvc ends. At the time everything was fine, no leaks. My wife rells me this am. There is small leak. I look and sure enough there is a very small leak at the threaded connection. I wrapped the threads with thread tape and they won't tighten any more. What's your idea on why it's leaking and y it took overnight to start?

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Just call me Andrew

Supply shutoffs leaking!

How much tape did you put on? It might just not have been enough. Also be careful not to over-tighten the connections.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

Supply shutoffs leaking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVila View Post
I installed new shutoffs after installing new vanity. I installed female angle shutoffs onto male cpvc ends. At the time everything was fine, no leaks. My wife rells me this am. There is small leak. I look and sure enough there is a very small leak at the threaded connection. I wrapped the threads with thread tape and they won't tighten any more. What's your idea on why it's leaking and y it took overnight to start?
As for why it took overnight to start, do a forum search on "expansion tank". Here's the logic if you don't have an expansion tank:

If your pressure regulator is working, then it acts as a check valve which makes your system a closed system. IOW, it isolates your water system from the city's system. After you stop using water for the night, the water heater heats the water and the water expands which increases the pressure in your system. This can occur until the pressure in your system is greater than the pressure from the city. At that point a bypass valve in the pressure regulator opens and your system becomes an open system.

Note that in this scenario the pressure in your system will eventually be equal to the pressure in the city's system. So your system's water pressure will start at your PR's setting (about 50 - 60 psi) and may reach the city's water pressure (depends on your locality but could be as high as 130 psi or more).

The actual pressure reached in your system over night will depend on the capacity of your water heater and how much hot water you used.

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 11-08-2010 at 12:22 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Supply shutoffs leaking!

I wrapped it about 2 or 3 times around threads. Tightened botg fittings the same, pretty tight. It is the smallest leak. A leak is a leak though. Take it off, retake and try again?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #5
Household Handyman

Supply shutoffs leaking!

"I installed female angle shutoffs onto male cpvc ends" Are you stating that you screwed the female angle shut-off's onto the male CPVC piping? IF SO, this means that you, or someone, had cut threads onto the CPVC piping. IF this is the case, you should be using schedule 80 CPVC piping, and not sch. 40. This may be your problem. Schedule 40 CPVC piping does not take threading very well, and IF the shut-off's are brass with machined female threads, this will not work very well together. Again: IF this is the case, you may have to use another type of thread sealant such as an epoxy type to get a good seal. Of course if you have placed an adapter on the CPVC piping with male threads, then you should be able to stop the leak with pipe tape or dope. There is a blue colored pipe tape which works much better than the white. You can find it at your local pluming supply house.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

Supply shutoffs leaking!

Tes there is an adapter on the end if the pipe. Never seen the blue tape before. Thx. Mike.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Supply shutoffs leaking!

Never had any luck with tape. All I use is dope
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #8

Supply shutoffs leaking!

Is dope and thread paste/sealant same thing?
Old 11-08-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
Just call me Andrew

Supply shutoffs leaking!

Dope is a liquid that can be used in place of or along with tape. I use the blue tape. I think your issue is that you just didn't use enough tape.

The flimsy white tape works just fine, it's just a but tougher to work with, and you need a lot more of it since it's thinner. Try more like 6-7 wraps, that's always worked for me. I use 3-4 wraps of the blue tape. Just give it another shot. Also, get your valves from a plumbing supply store, not the big box stores. Get the 1/4 turn ball-valve ones while you're at it.

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote