Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Share |

Supply Rough In for Toilet

I decided I wanted to put a bathroom in on my 2nd floor Cape where there was previously just a closet with no plumbing. I contracted a plumber who did the rough plumbing for me.

I've finished the subfloor, wiring and insulation and now need to drywall, however I'm not sure what to do with what the plumbers left for the toilet supply:

I have a Kohler toilet and wanted to use this supply here: http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal...sp?item=430302

The rough-in instructions say that the supply elbow needs to connect with either 3/8" NPT or 1/2" NPT, but all I have is a PEX supply with a copper elbow secured with a copper strap.

Two questions:
1. What do I need to do/buy to be able to connect the copper elbow to the Kohler supply kit?
2. What do I use, if anything, to secure the copper pipe in place before the drywall goes up? Do I leave that strap there or use something better?

dvation191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
Tileguy

So.....That supply line is floppy and sloppy as it is now ?

You could fashion some blocking in the wall between the studs to firm it up if that's the case.

Is that Self Leveller on the floor now?

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
So.....That supply line is floppy and sloppy as it is now ?

You could fashion some blocking in the wall between the studs to firm it up if that's the case.

Is that Self Leveller on the floor now?
No, it's actually fairly secure. I think I'd be happy leaving it the way it is now, I just want to make sure it's done right. I was thinking I'd have to cut that copper pipe back and off the copper strap in order to connect it to the Kohler supply elbow. If I did that, I'd need another way to secure the pipe - I think?

Yes, that is self-leveler on the floor.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:06 AM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
No, it's actually fairly secure. I think I'd be happy leaving it the way it is now, I just want to make sure it's done right. I was thinking I'd have to cut that copper pipe back and off the copper strap in order to connect it to the Kohler supply elbow. If I did that, I'd need another way to secure the pipe - I think?
If it is secure leave it alone. Stab your drywall and move-on with your wallboard installation. When the time comes cut the copper and install the proper water-stop. Your fine with what's there, that's the way it is done.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #5
Tileguy

Can't imagine why you would want to spend sixty bucks on a supply tube and stop when you can do it for twelve bucks most places.

You do know that that picture is showing the same copper you now have, that isn't part of the Kohler deal I don't think. That looks to be a 1/2" copper pipe with a male adaptor welded to it. With the kit all you get is the escutcheon, the stop valve, and the supply tube.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Can't imagine why you would want to spend sixty bucks on a supply tube and stop when you can do it for twelve bucks most places.

You do know that that picture is showing the same copper you now have, that isn't part of the Kohler deal I don't think. That looks to be a 1/2" copper pipe with a male adaptor welded to it. With the kit all you get is the escutcheon, the stop valve, and the supply tube.
Good question - it's just about how the final product looks. I'd prefer the supply pipe coming out from the wall be the same brushed nickel as the rest of the bathroom.

The installation notes show that the Kohler kit comes with a brushed nickel supply pipe with a threaded end:
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/115090_4.pdf

I suppose if I wanted to use the Kohler kit with what I have now, I'd need some kind of copper to female NTP adapter?
Old 12-27-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
Tileguy

If you can't sleep at night knowing that a half inch of copper is sticking out of the wall then when you install the male adapter clean all of the copper real good, flux it, and cover it with solder, WAH-LA in side of a month you'll have what looks like nickle sticking out of the wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
dvation191 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #8

Quote:
If you can't sleep at night knowing that a half inch of copper is sticking out of the wall then when you install the male adapter clean all of the copper real good, flux it, and cover it with solder, WAH-LA in side of a month you'll have what looks like nickle sticking out of the wall.
Ha! Great advice. Thanks Bud, appreciate it.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:25 AM   #9
Tileguy

Those tricky little devils.

It appears you don't even get the twenty-nine cent escutcheon for your sixty dollars. What you get there is the "angle-stop" (and a damn nice looking angle stop I might add) and a "supply tube" ( a mighty fine supply tube). That's all. I don't see the escutcheon written anywhere. It is in the picture but it isn't detailed anywhere.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #10

My approach would be to leave it alone. When your ready to set trim, cut the copper about 1.25"-1.5" from finished wall. Install a 5/8"x3/8" compression angle stop (choose the finish you want). At 1.25"-1.5" your stop will be against the wall-no pipe will show. No need for NPT stop

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote