Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Supplemental water heater ?

I'm installing a second floor full bathroom and am considering putting in an electric instantaneous water heater to ensure that I always have hot water for showers and possibly for the lav. There are two other full baths in the house. They are supplied by a 50 gallon electric water heater. The distance to the second floor bath isn't that great. Everything is in a central plumbing stack. But, I have three teenagers that go through hot water at light speed. I would just like to make certain that my wife and I can take a truly hot shower when we'd like.

Looking for advice about a reasonably priced point of use heater. Would prefer an instantaneous model. Looking for a reliable system. Have a 200 amp main panel, one 40 amp sub panel, and one 60 amp sub panel with open slots open. Our water supply is a private well system with a softener in place.

How large of a heater do I need? Any brand recommendations? Things I need to consider? Thanks for any input you can provide.

Sdebick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Supplemental water heater ?

Why not two normal heaters plumbed in series (or parallel? Can't remember which is preferred.)? A point of use heater is typically for small quantities of hot water, not for a shower. They will not be able to keep up with a shower flow rate. Going electric instantaneous for the whole house is likely not worth it $ wise if it is even available.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote