Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #1

Share |

super hot boiler

My expansion tank was changed recently by a plumber. Then the screw of the air release valve came off. So the plumber came back, replaced it and also changed the zone control valve (Honeywell brand). There was a funny noise after that and a few days later, there was no heat even when I turned my thermostat to 30 degrees. What happened?

xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #2

super hot boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdavidx View Post
My expansion tank was changed recently by a plumber.
Is this a bladder tank? why was it replaced?

Quote:
Then the screw of the air release valve came off.
Not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
So the plumber came back, replaced it and also changed the zone control valve (Honeywell brand).
Why did he change the zone valve the second time out. did he just replace the motor head on it or the entire valve assembly?

Quote:
There was a funny noise after that and a few days later, there was no heat even when I turned my thermostat to 30 degrees. What happened?
Having zone valves indicates that there are at least two zones. Do the other zones have heat? Is the boiler coming on? Is the power switch on.

Funny noise can be almost anything. Can you be a bit more specific? Was it a bang, gurgle, hiss, pop. also where was the noise heard in relation to the boiler, radiators, etc

danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #3

super hot boiler

It is diaphragm type expansion tank.
There is a screw which is loose on the air release valve. It allows air trapped in the pipes to be released as the water returned to be heated again. This screw is always loose in order to allow air to escape. This screw does not come off unless it was forced or that the amount of air trapped is so large that the pressure forced the screw out.

The whole zone valve (entire assembly) was replaced as it was not working and caused the temperature in the room to be about 30C although room thermostat was set at 20c.

Last edited by xdavidx; 05-02-2012 at 11:02 PM. Reason: m
Old 05-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #4

super hot boiler

Well my best guess at this time is you have air in the system that needs to be bled off. Find the bleeder screws at the ends of the radiators and open them to let the air out. close them once you get water.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #5

super hot boiler

A system with diaphragm (bladder) expansion tank needs separate air valves to calibrate the system pressure and let out excess air. The valve on the expansion tank is for calibrating the system pressure only.

Because the bleed screws on baseboard radiators are in line with the pipe instead of being mounted on risers, usually only a small amount of air comes out each time. Therefore you may need to repeat the bleeding process over a period of a few days or weeks. If the end of the baseboard with the bleeder screw has sagged due to building settling, that screw might not bleed correctly. You may be able to jack up that end (gently please) so air will bleed out.

Unless there are bypass pipes as "passing lanes" in each baseboard radiator, each loop (zone) will have at most one zone valve, on one of the baseboard radiators. Are you sure that the wall thermostat is making and breaking the zone valve circuit at the proper temperature? If you take the cover off the wall thermostat and twiddle the lever or dial, you can usually see something moving (such as a glob of mercury) inside that makes and breaks the circuit. Don't forget that the turn on temperature and turn off temperature will be a few degrees apart.

Last edited by AllanJ; 05-03-2012 at 11:27 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:39 AM   #6

super hot boiler

Thanks for your input. But it is strange. I went to my boiler room and it is working again. I did not do anything.