Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-25-2011, 03:13 PM   #1
Tug

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump well water

We purchased a 12 year old house about 18 months ago and one of the few things the previous owner had to replace was the sump pump which they did but went with the cheapest moldel they could find. At any rate the sump pump well is about 36" deep and always has about 6" inches of standing water in it. I purchased an inexpesive humidity meter and placed it in the crawl space (which is separate from the basement) and the meter reads the RH at 40% @ 64 degrees. The crawl space has a fully encapsulated vapor barrier that is glued and fastened 6" up the foundation wall to ensure no mold/bacteria can escape and enter into the living quarters of house. Should the 6" of water in the sump pump well be a concern or is that normal and more importantly safe?
Thanks

Tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,342

Sump pump well water

40% is okay. If there is always six inches left in the bottom, and nothing is coming in, then there is something possibly placed under the pump. Have you looked in the well to see if it is a closed bottom, or open. As for the pump, how many horsepower is it?

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Tug

Sump pump well water

Greg thank you for replying. I took the sump pump out once last summer unfortunately I don't remember the horse power but I can tell you at the time I looked it up on the Internet and it was the least expensive sump pump the previous owner could buy. The bottom of the well is closed and it does have a check valve approximately 3.5 feet above the sump pump. I cleaned the barrel and put fresh water in it which activated the sump pump and pumped all but the last 6" out, there's a film on the remaining water leading me to believe the water is what's left over from when I cleaned it 2 months ago. Where going to have to replace the sump pump but beings it's almost winter I was hoping to wait till spring to do it. What I want to avoid is any bacteria or mold growing in the drum. Thanks again
Old 09-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Sump pump well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug View Post
The bottom of the well is closed and it does have a check valve approximately 3.5 feet above the sump pump.
3.5 feet may be your problem.
I would move the check valve as close to the pump discharge as I could.

When the pump shuts off , your going to have 3.5 feet of pipe dumping back into tha tank.
AlbacoreShuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Sump pump well water

If you have a farm and home store near you, check their prices before the big boxes. If the pump is leaving water in the well, is it happening from backflow, or just that the foot of the pump is sitting too high? Some leave water, so they have pressure to help with the draw. Also, may want to look at having a 12 vdc back up pump for in case power goes off. In our area, people use the water powered pumps vs. the battery back up type.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:53 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Sump pump well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbacoreShuffle View Post
3.5 feet may be your problem.
I would move the check valve as close to the pump discharge as I could.

When the pump shuts off , your going to have 3.5 feet of pipe dumping back into tha tank.
That was my thought also. Not enough lift to get it past the check valve, when shutting off. Worn out valve was my other guess.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
Tug

Sump pump well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
That was my thought also. Not enough lift to get it past the check valve, when shutting off. Worn out valve was my other guess.
Thank you for all the replies now that I'm thinking about it having the check valve closer to the pump does makes sense beings I've never lived in a house that needed a sump I didn't know. The previous owner installed a new check valve as well the reason why I know this is when I turned on the breaker to suck the water out of the well for the first time (the sump pump was literally replaced the day before we closed) after they installed it water went all over the place when it reached the check valve, apparently the previous owner's b/f installed both the sump pump and check valve and installed the check valve upside down so I had to take it apart and reinstall it. We bought this house in good faith and to know the previous owner was less than honest to us on so many things is upsetting but the deals done now it's up to me to make the necessary fixes. Thanks again
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Sump pump well water

Dad always placed ours about 3 feet from the top of the pump, not from the floor.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Sump pump well water

The pump impeller doesn't sit on the very bottom of the tank anyway, so you're never going to get all of the water out of it.

Not only that, but it's set to shut off based on the float. It's doing that. If it's turning on, you don't really have a problem IMO.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #10
Tug

Sump pump well water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
The pump impeller doesn't sit on the very bottom of the tank anyway, so you're never going to get all of the water out of it.

Not only that, but it's set to shut off based on the float. It's doing that. If it's turning on, you don't really have a problem IMO.
The sump pump is functioning correcmtly, after we get any rain I check it and it's drained the well except for the last 6". Thanks again