Sump Pump: Vertical Switch Vs Float - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump: vertical switch vs float

We recently moved into a new house with three sump wells. Last night we had our first big rain and I'm glad that I checked the sumps. One of the pumps had failed and water was at the top lip of the sump pit. I ran to Home Depot and quickly bought a replacement to get by. As I'm looking to replace the other two sump pumps I've noticed that there are two types of switches: vertical and float. It seems like the better quality pumps use a vertical switch. My concern is that my sump pits usually fill about 1/2 full rather quickly, then they fill much more slowly after that. I'm concerned that with a vertical switch the pump would constantly be going off trying to keep the water below that 1/2 mark.

Realizing the problem we narrowly missed I'm also going to look at the backup sump with battery options. Last thing I want is to go away for the day and come home to a wet finished basement.

Gary

Advertisement

smiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 680

Is this a "new" house or new to you?
All kinds of warning flags would have gone off for me If I'm looking at homes and see 3 pumps.
Something has to be done outside to stop all that water from getting in the basement in the first place.
Working gutters with down spout at least 10 ft. away from the foundation.
Grade running away from the house.
No mulch or flower beds up against the house.
May even need a French drain.

Advertisement

Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is this a "new" house or new to you?
All kinds of warning flags would have gone off for me If I'm looking at homes and see 3 pumps.
Something has to be done outside to stop all that water from getting in the basement in the first place.
Working gutters with down spout at least 10 ft. away from the foundation.
Grade running away from the house.
No mulch or flower beds up against the house.
May even need a French drain.
It's a new to us house, just moved in in September. I've never dealt with sumps before so while it seemed strange to me to have them. It didn't throw up any red flags. The house is on a lake and is very close to lake level. It was built in the 60's so the sumps have been added over time. We do plan on doing some grading in the spring to try to get water flowing away from the house. In the hard rain this past weekend I noticed that one of the downspouts is either partially clogged or not large enough to handle the volume of water coming down in a very hard rain.
smiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,392

Most are adjustable so they turn on when a certain level of water is reached. There are a lot of good ones out there (so many choices). Really depends on your particular situation and what kind of room you have in your basin, etc., as to what will work best for you. I attached a short video for you so you can be an informed cusumer when shopping for new ones. Hope it helps. Thanks.

Sump pumps review, vertical switch vs float

Last edited by jmon; 11-19-2013 at 12:09 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote