DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sump pump running as much as 20 times per day

11K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  RippySkippy 
#1 ·
We're in a new-construction home that is about 8 months old. We moved in during the winter and thus didn't have our sprinkler system running.

We started running our sprinkler system about 6 weeks ago and since then our sump pump seems to be running more and more frequently.

As of the past few days I'm estimating it's running as much as 20+ times per day and pumping out a couple of gallons of water each time.

I can't imagine this is normal (it creates a huge pool of standing water) but I don't know enough about sump pumps to know what the problem could be.

The sump pump drain pipe drains out about 4 feet from our foundation.

Where should we start looking to fix this?

#3 ·
Sump pits fill when water gets to your drain tile. If it's not raining and your pump runs 20 times/day, chances are likely that it's your sprinkler system that's leaking.

For the most part, you probably don't want to install a sprinkler system until your grading has settled. Also, it's better to install during the spring because the sprinkler pipes are probably right at the frost line. Also, water could have remained in the lines if the install company didn't have them drained/winterized. That means freezing, which can crack pipes.

Your best bet is to call the sprinkler install company. Hopefully it wasn't a handy man special, where there are no warranties.

#4 ·
Are you SURE you need the sprinklers on these days,,if so YOUR dryer than we are here. It has been raining every other day if not twice a day and I still see goofy people with their sprinkler system ON. "DUMB is as dumb does!!!" If your as wet, turn OFF the sprinklers till you NEED them!! Put a rain gauge out to see how much water your sprinkling,,,chances are its close to 5-10 times as much as you THINK it is!! And how often?? heard once or twice a week with deep watering is better than the once and twice a day MOST run!!

You may well be creating your own water problem with over saturating your soil!! and 4' isnt far enough from the house,it MAY have found its way right back inside and its actually going round and round!!pipe it front or back lot at LEAST 30-40 feet if not alot more!!

2 gallon isnt a big load to turn on for,does it have a backflow preventer that doent let the pipes drain back in?? OR/and can you allow a few more gallons before it kicks on??Like what happens when your switch gets wore out??(basement catastrope??)(someday THAT will happen) High water alarm MAY save the bacon IF your home!!

#6 ·
It sounds like it could be a combination of the sprinkler piping and the location of the pump discharge outlet location. If the pump discharge is located in a place where the water drains back toward the foundation, you will be pumping the same water out time after time.

Make sure the ground is sloped away from your foundation. Many times there is settlement around newer homes which causes water to be directed toward the foundation instead of away from it. Look for low spots.

Also, it is very important that the discharge line from the pump has a check valve installed to prevent the water in the discharge pipe from draining back into the sump when the pump shuts off.

I hope this helps.

#7 ·
one other thing came to mind,,,you said house is 9 months old. It is nearly new construction and therefore sorta fresh backfill,, soft yet. Water makes channels it runs,,,away or towards your foundation. IF you were water would you go the HARD route(unexcavated dirt) or the easy way,soft excavated dirt?? Stick an extra pipe on it and SEE what happens,,if it works pipe it FAR away!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.