Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sump pump running every 5 seconds

I have a problem with water coming into my sump pit. There is a 6 or 8 inch inlet pipe in my sump pit and after the rain stops and there is no other water running in the house, water continues to pour into my sump pit. I called the city and they checked the storm drain to find it was completely backed up. Once they drained it the water inlet stopped.

My problem is where is this water coming from and why? I imagine it is from the overflow of the storm drain, but is this my problem or the city's?

The water coming in is fairly clear, but at times will smell of sewer gas.

If the power goes out I am going to be flooded in 5 minutes.

I understand that it should be working while it is raining, but days after I dont feel it should still run every 5 seconds.

Please help, thanks, Chris

Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beard View Post
at times will smell of sewer gas.
Methane is explosive; mention safety/explosion/fire/lawsuits and you should be able to get some help from the powers that be.

Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:22 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

Something is missing in this story. Does your sump pit connect to the storm drain? And exactly how did the city drain the storm drain, was it blocked? If your sump pump is connected to the storm drain, and the water level in the drain got higher than the bottom of the sump pit, then water would drain back from the storm drain to the sump pit. In order to understand the source of water in your sump pit, we need to understand the connections between your sump pit, the storm drain, and any perimeter drain you may have around your house.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,026

Redo the storm drain outlet to have a check valve so water cannot come back into the pit.

(copied from another post) This won't be perfect; occasionally grit will hold the check valve ajar but then the sump pump will keep up with the flow.

Here the storm drain outlet must be a different pipe from any perimeter drain pipes since perimeter drain pipes must always let water into the pit.