Sump Pump Recomendations - Zoeller Vs Basement Watchdog Vs..... - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Sump Pump Recomendations - Zoeller vs Basement Watchdog vs.....

In the final stages of installing my drain tile system in my basement and im in need of a new sump pump system.

I'd like to have a battery backup in case the power goes out in a heavy rain storm.

First up is the basement watchdog system, for about 650... Battery included.

http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Basem...ump/p2474.html

or

would i be better off with a better brand name like zoeller and peice together a primary pump like the m98 and a separate battery backup they make?

such as:

http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoell...ump/p3752.html
and
http://www.sumppumpsdirect.com/Zoell...ump/p3756.html

I'd also need to purchase a battery for the system, as zoeller doesn't supply one.

Also looking for other recommendations for pumps, either combo, or primary and backup.

looking for strong proven design that will not let me down and flood my basement.

Price has to be 650 and under.

thanks!

Advertisement

alecmcmahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Unless you have a high water table, much of that is not needed. Gutters/downspouts that get water at least 6' away from the foundation, and grading around the foundation that does the same, will usually keep things dry.

I had a dry basement for 35+ years. High lot on a corner, close to the top of a hill. Then I suddenly had water coming up onto the floor. Not a broken sewer or water line. It seems blasting about 1/2 mile away had changed underground drainage and I now have a river under my house. Installing a sump corrected that. It rarely runs during wet periods, but may run in August droughts, or when the ground is frozen solid, just the opposite of most basement water issues.

Advertisement

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #3

Thanks, But I know I need a sump pump... If I left my sump pump unplugged for more then a day or so during rainy weather i'd have a flooded basement.

Just looking for recommendations on some pumps.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 276

If your are on city water investigate water backup pumps
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Not sure I understand, why would it matter if im on city water or not for pumping out rain water?
Old 03-10-2011, 08:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 256

A water power backup pump uses the water supply pressure to power the sump pump.
This is good for when the power goes out. But if your on a well and use a pump to pressurize your supply lines, then it doesn't make sense to use that as a backup because that process takes power.

Also look for a check valve. Many older installations are missing one. It is especially important for longer runs of pipe.

Last edited by michaelcherr; 03-10-2011 at 08:33 AM.
michaelcherr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcherr View Post
A water power backup pump uses the water supply pressure to power the sump pump.
This is good for when the power goes out. But if your on a well and use a pump to pressurize your supply lines, then it doesn't make sense to use that as a backup because that process takes power.

Also look for a check valve. Many older installations are missing one. It is especially important for longer runs of pipe.
Thanks, I'll look into it. Though, i doubt my water pressure is high enough to power one of those suckers.

So the general consensus is basement watchdog is not worth it?
Old 03-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

I had a basement watch dog in my house (sold now) for almost 10 years, in those year of service it was called up to duty 3 times and each time it performed without problem.

The battery requires topping of with distilled water once a year (alarm will remind you) had the original battery, the last couple of years I had a stand-by battery just in case but never needed it.

The sump ran, at least 10 mins of every hour, which I would consider a sump on the high flow spectrum of things.

Mark
Old 03-10-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecmcmahon View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. Though, i doubt my water pressure is high enough to power one of those suckers.

So the general consensus is basement watchdog is not worth it?
I have had two basement watchdogs in two homes and I can't say I've had an issue with them because I don't recall ever really needing it to turn on.

The first one I installed, it was after Hurricane Isabel. I never lost power prior to selling that house. The reason is that my primary pump has a tethered float, thus a very high activation height. This left little room for the BW's float. Thus, it didn't come on after I lost power, as the water level in the pit did not reach the BW's float's activation height.

Once I got home, I pushed the start button on the BW twice and since it only has about 1/4 HP, it didn't empty out the pit since there was so much water in the drain tiles.

Luckily, I did receive my Yamaha generator the very same day, so I powered it up and used my primary pump (1/3 HP) and it pumped all the water out in an instant.

I have the medium level BW, and I think it should suffice. I also bought a vertical float sump pump to replace the tethered one. The vertical float has a lower activation height.

BW should be fine for you, but since I hear such great things about Zoeller, if I had to do it again, I would seriously look into Zoeller also. I think the price is about the same. My only issue with the BW is that I've had it for about 3 years, and lately, it seems like I'm topping off the batter with distilled water more frequently.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote