DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

sump pump quit working.

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  bigred55 
#1 ·
My brother and his family moved into my basement about a year ago. There is a bathroom and washer and dryer that get alot of use. My sump pump has been taking care of busines until today, it stopped working over filling the sump. What do i do to get it going again.

#7 ·
#9 ·
wait, are you saying your basement toilet is emptying into your pit?

surely you would have noticed the smell coming out of your sump pump discharge pipe?
The pit has a lid on it and everything is plumbed to the outside. Have two pipes that come out. Im assuming one of those pipes is a vent. Have not noticed any smell. Just when it over filled.

#4 ·
Is there power going to the pump?
Have you unpluged it to check to see if the impellers locked up?
Have you checked to see if the float switch works?

If your trying to use a sump pump to drain a toilet you have the wrong style pump.

#5 ·
Is there power going to the pump?
Have you unpluged it to check to see if the impellers locked up?
Have you checked to see if the float switch works?

If your trying to use a sump pump to drain a toilet you have the wrong style pump.
Thanks for the feed back! Power is good. Just not looking forward to taking the lid off and getting dirty. Was just hoping there might be a easy fix. If you have any more helpfull tips I'm all ears! What type of pump do I need for a toilet?

#11 ·
It's the first time time I am hearing about a sewage basin so please forgive me for asking dumb questions.

When you look at your basement toilet, does it look something like this? http://www.saniflo.com/homeowners/sfa-product-line/saniplus-®

Can you follow the waste pipe and see where it goes?

Maybe take a picture or two?
No it does not look like that. The sump room is right behind the bathroom. Looks like the pipes go under ground to the sump. nothing is exposed. Will work on getting some pics.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.