Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Share |

Sump pump questions

I am a new homeowner and never lived in a house with a sump pump. We have 3 sump pumps, 2 in one corner and one in another corner. The one by itself occasionally sounded like a motorcycle was speeding on our road, now it is running constantly. It is very loud and appears to be correctly working, but I have no idea, since I know nothing about them!

The 2 in the other corner are full of water, but I don't hear anything working. There are supposedly battery backups that the pervious owners were suppose to hook up, but from what I can tell they are not.

I know it would be easier to call a plumber, but we can't really afford to and I don't want to pay for someone to come if it's something small that can be easily fixed.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Daizrin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Sump pump questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizrin7 View Post
I am a new homeowner and never lived in a house with a sump pump. We have 3 sump pumps, 2 in one corner and one in another corner. The one by itself occasionally sounded like a motorcycle was speeding on our road, now it is running constantly. It is very loud and appears to be correctly working, but I have no idea, since I know nothing about them!

The 2 in the other corner are full of water, but I don't hear anything working. There are supposedly battery backups that the pervious owners were suppose to hook up, but from what I can tell they are not.

I know it would be easier to call a plumber, but we can't really afford to and I don't want to pay for someone to come if it's something small that can be easily fixed.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Well, for starters the one that runs constantly, may just have a float switch that's stuck in the "on" position and crusted over, etc. You can check, clean it, try working it, to unstick it, etc. May have to be replaced. I don't know.

The other two, I would check and see if they are working. Just lift up on the float and see if they start. If they do, then they should be good and your float may just need a little adjusting. If they don't, then make sure they are connected properly to a power source and that the breaker hasn't tripped somewhere. It is indeed a very good idea to hook them up to a battery back-up in case of power outages if they aren't already. It's ok if there is a little water in the pit, it shouldn't be full to the top though.

Any idea how old they are?

If you are still having problems, please post a couple pics of the outlets they are plugged/wired into and the sump pumps so we can better assist you? Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 07-09-2013 at 06:21 PM. Reason: additional information which may be helpful
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
Daizrin7 (07-09-2013), oh'mike (07-09-2013)
Old 07-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #3

Sump pump questions

So now, the single pump stopped running and has filled up. It is not overflowing, but as high in the water is about as high as the other 2. Is that normal?
Daizrin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Sump pump questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizrin7 View Post
So now, the single pump stopped running and has filled up. It is not overflowing, but as high in the water is about as high as the other 2. Is that normal?
You tested it a couple times? Comes on when you pull up on the float and go off when released?

As long as it's not overflowing, or filled to the top, and working properly you should be good. When the water level reaches a certain level it will activate. If still concern, or you prefer water level a little lower, you could adjust your float/float switch in accordance with manufacturers reccommendations. Or you could just leave it and monitor the situation for awhile, if it overflows, then adjust it so it comes on sooner. Just remember the lower you set the water level the more the pump will run. Up to you. Previous owners may have set them on the high side.

Sometimes over time when pump goes on and off the float can get out of adjustment from all the vibrations, etc. It's possible it may be a little out of adjustment - an easy fix. For instructions on how to do this, check your owners manual, google your sump pump, or post some pics of your sump pump here so we can better assist you. Thanks.

Last edited by jmon; 07-10-2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: additional information
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery backup, sump pump