DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Sump Pump Question

23K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  brownie 
#1 ·
I have a sump pit in my basement, but there is currently no pump installed. Is there a way I could buy a pump, and only discharge water when it got to a certain level. I guess what I am asking is, instead of plumbing the discharge pvc into or out of my house....is there a way that I could manually turn the pump on when I needed and then discharge the water through a garden hose or something non permanent.

I don't have enough water coming in to spend the time or money on making the pump permanent.

#7 ·
Sounds great. If only I can convince my wife we need another shop vac. Mine is almost a year old and can't be returned. Do you know if there is some sort of attachment that would make mine do the same thing? I have a RIDGID vac. Not sure of the size.

#8 · (Edited)
This may be a more economical option for you, assuming you have a high powered drill.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_11948_11948

Make sure you don't forget to buy the coupler (look under 'accessories').

or this, without a drill:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_16818_16818?cm_sp=Customer%20driven-_-Recently%20Viewed-_-Product%20Page

Finally, if you "don't have that much water coming in," then why can't you just use your Ridgid Wet/Dry vac to remove the water? It's scary not to have a permanent pump though, assuming you're 100% sure that even in a deluge, and possibly a power outage, you will never have that much water in the sump well.

#9 ·
You can use the penny pinching vacuums and hand drill methods if you have the time to be there. You also have to run the pump when you need the protection and may want to sleep..

A pedistal pump is very cheap and it has a float control so it runs automatically when needed. You just plug it in. The discharge can be through rigid pvc or if you want to, you can spend a lot of time and money for a garden hose and fittings/adapters to get the discharge line down to a garden hose size.

#10 ·
I have a sump pit in my basement, but there is currently no pump installed. Is there a way I could buy a pump, and only discharge water when it got to a certain level. I guess what I am asking is, instead of plumbing the discharge pvc into or out of my house....is there a way that I could manually turn the pump on when I needed and then discharge the water through a garden hose or something non permanent.

I don't have enough water coming in to spend the time or money on making the pump permanent.
Look in Northerntool.com they have a submersible utility pump rated @ 1326 GPH for 39.99 . You can hook up to a garden hose set it in the sump pit and plug it in. You can also use the utility pump around the house as in draining a pool cover . They are very handy to have around . I use them all the time at my side jobs. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.