Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |

Sump Pump Question

I have a sump pit in my basement, but there is currently no pump installed. Is there a way I could buy a pump, and only discharge water when it got to a certain level. I guess what I am asking is, instead of plumbing the discharge pvc into or out of my house....is there a way that I could manually turn the pump on when I needed and then discharge the water through a garden hose or something non permanent.

I don't have enough water coming in to spend the time or money on making the pump permanent.

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 08:56 AM   #2

Sump Pump Question

You could buy a shop vac that has a pump feature that attaches to a garden hose.

http://shopvac.com/vacs/detail.asp?I...=index&StoreID=

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #3

Sump Pump Question

I just bought a shop vac not too long ago. I just don't want to buy something that i have to install permanently like many sump systems.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:39 AM   #4

Sump Pump Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I just bought a shop vac not too long ago. I just don't want to buy something that i have to install permanently like many sump systems.
Can you return it for the one I posted? It'll be much cheaper for you to actually buy another shop vac rather than buying a dedicated pump for your sump pit.

Last edited by handy man88; 04-26-2007 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:09 PM   #5

Sump Pump Question

That's true. Do you think the shop vac would do the trick?
Old 04-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #6

Sump Pump Question

Quote:
That's true. Do you think the shop vac would do the trick?
I think easily. This model has 6.5 HP, and supposedly can pump 5 gpm at a height of 50 ft. In the video below, you can see a demo of someone emptying out a hot tub.

http://shopvac.com/swf/pump_vac.asp
Old 04-26-2007, 01:55 PM   #7

Sump Pump Question

Sounds great. If only I can convince my wife we need another shop vac. Mine is almost a year old and can't be returned. Do you know if there is some sort of attachment that would make mine do the same thing? I have a RIDGID vac. Not sure of the size.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:00 PM   #8

Sump Pump Question

This may be a more economical option for you, assuming you have a high powered drill.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_11948_11948

Make sure you don't forget to buy the coupler (look under 'accessories').

or this, without a drill:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Product%20Page

Finally, if you "don't have that much water coming in," then why can't you just use your Ridgid Wet/Dry vac to remove the water? It's scary not to have a permanent pump though, assuming you're 100% sure that even in a deluge, and possibly a power outage, you will never have that much water in the sump well.

Last edited by handy man88; 04-26-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:41 PM   #9

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Sump Pump Question

You can use the penny pinching vacuums and hand drill methods if you have the time to be there. You also have to run the pump when you need the protection and may want to sleep..

A pedistal pump is very cheap and it has a float control so it runs automatically when needed. You just plug it in. The discharge can be through rigid pvc or if you want to, you can spend a lot of time and money for a garden hose and fittings/adapters to get the discharge line down to a garden hose size.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:28 PM   #10

Sump Pump Question

Quote:
I have a sump pit in my basement, but there is currently no pump installed. Is there a way I could buy a pump, and only discharge water when it got to a certain level. I guess what I am asking is, instead of plumbing the discharge pvc into or out of my house....is there a way that I could manually turn the pump on when I needed and then discharge the water through a garden hose or something non permanent.

I don't have enough water coming in to spend the time or money on making the pump permanent.
Look in Northerntool.com they have a submersible utility pump rated @ 1326 GPH for 39.99 . You can hook up to a garden hose set it in the sump pit and plug it in. You can also use the utility pump around the house as in draining a pool cover . They are very handy to have around . I use them all the time at my side jobs.

brownie is offline   Reply With Quote