Sump Pump Problem - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2009, 11:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump Pump Problem

I've googled and came up with nothing on this. I noticed the other day the sump was running non-stop. Quick check found that the pvc was loosely connected to the sump and water was splashing out from the loose connection. I suppose this would cause the pump to continue to run as is keeps pulling up the splashed out water. I pulled out the sump but was not able to re-connect the pvc. I tried scraping some of the junk to expose the threads, but still can't get the pvc into the sump. Is cement or some other adhesive used on this connection. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisement

bargidan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sump Pump Problem

hello and welcome to the forum!
be sure you clean off ALL old gunk around the threads on BOTH sides, pump and pvc and try again. if still not going in, let us know, we'll figure it out, i'm sure. fyi, i ran galvanized steel for the first run from MY sump-pump, then adapted to a pvc run to take it up and out of my shelter.

DM

Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,134

Sump Pump Problem

While you have it apart, it would be a good time to install a check valve immediately above the pump. It stops the water in the line from draining back and having to be pumped twice.

the threads might be stripped. If that is the case, just cut off a short section of new pvc with a new threaded section for the connection.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 03:29 PM   #4

Sump Pump Problem

Thanks for the help guys. There is a check valve already installed. I think that there may be some other problem here in addition to the pvc not fitting into the sump. In fact, I think it probabaly worked fine for a while with it being loosely connected. Could it be the float switch. If i plug it in it runs continuously. Gets rid of water fine, but just doesn't shut off. If I lift the float up it still runs. We recently had a lot of rainfall, this is when I noticed the problem. I know for a fact the sump is at least 5 years old as this is when we moved into this house. It could very well be much older. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited by bargidan; 02-28-2009 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #5
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sump Pump Problem

if you lift the float and it still runs, the float switch likely needs replacing.

DM
Old 02-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,018

Sump Pump Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargidan View Post
Thanks for the help guys. There is a check valve already installed. I think that there may be some other problem here in addition to the pvc not fitting into the sump. In fact, I think it probabaly worked fine for a while with it being loosely connected. Could it be the float switch. If i plug it in it runs continuously. Gets rid of water fine, but just doesn't shut off. If I lift the float up it still runs. We recently had a lot of rainfall, this is when I noticed the problem. I know for a fact the sump is at least 5 years old as this is when we moved into this house. It could very well be much older. Thanks again for the help.
The sump pump cold be old, but keep in mind that it's a device that is not running every day....only when it rains.

Generally speaking, most sumps have 1.25" outlets. A pvc pipe of 1.5" is usually used to channel water out though, and that's because most pumps come with a screw on adapter where the 1.5" pipe is cemented on, and then the adapter is screwed onto the pump itself.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:21 PM   #7
MasterPlumber

Rewards Points: 25

Sump Pump Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargidan View Post
I've googled and came up with nothing on this. I noticed the other day the sump was running non-stop. Quick check found that the pvc was loosely connected to the sump and water was splashing out from the loose connection. I suppose this would cause the pump to continue to run as is keeps pulling up the splashed out water. I pulled out the sump but was not able to re-connect the pvc. I tried scraping some of the junk to expose the threads, but still can't get the pvc into the sump. Is cement or some other adhesive used on this connection. Any help is appreciated.
If your switch is shot and the threads are that bad then just replace the thing, it's not worth fooling around with.
ironrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #8

Sump Pump Problem

Just wanted to thank you guys for all the advice. Ended up getting a piggyback switch for the sump. Probably going to be a temporary fix for the time being. Put it on a couple of hours ago and it's doing it's job. Thanks again for all the help, Dan

Advertisement