Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sump pump Plumbing

What's the best way to get the sump to drain outside..... Cut thru the Rim joist or thru the block itself. Currently the Sump is hooked up to the Sanitary sewer (Yes, I know a NO NO but that's they way it's been since I bought the house and alot of them in town are that way) I've decided it's time to correct it. I have a slot level with a 2/3rd's width basement, meaning the sump drain will have to run atleast 10' in either direction to get outside after making a climb of about 7-9 feet from the base of the sump pit. there's currently a check valve in the line and it climbs about 5' to get to the sanitary line. exiting the block or rim joist will dictate which way I run the plumbing.

Thanks!!

mdlbldrmatt135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Sump pump Plumbing

I would bore a hole through the block of sufficient size to allow the use of some rubber foam wrapped around the pipe to keep it from rubbing when the pump cycles and the pipe vibrates. Add an escutcheon piece to the outside to clean up the appearance. Cap the old pipe where it enters the sewer pipe as close to the sewer pipe as possible to minimize trapping waste in this dead end pipe. Run the discharge as far away from the basement as possible to keep the water from seeping back in.

yudamann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:42 AM   #3

Sump pump Plumbing

I'm looking into adding a 4" drain to the front of the house for the gutters anyway..... So I should be able to drain it into that. the Sump enters the sewer thru the Cleanout........ (yeah another NO NO) so closing it up is straight forward. ime to see what PVC I can find...LOL
Old 08-23-2007, 01:25 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Sump pump Plumbing

Running a sump line and a roof drain in the same line is a very bad idea.

Your gutter downspouts could pick up leaves, twids, pine needle,acorns, etc. and plug the line without you knowing it. When you need to get rid of the water from the sump it can back up without have a clue until it is too late.

Spend the extra dollar ot two for a second pipe and run then parallel to wherever it is suitable. You could also intal a pop-up discharge on the downspout extension when you get far enough for the house.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:05 PM   #5

Sump pump Plumbing

There's adiquate pitch right now so running it outside the house is good for now. All the gutters ont he front of the house haf the gutterguards on them. they haven't clogged yet... and I do check them once a year. (I installed new Gutters when I re roofed the house) If I do do it that way... the sump wold go into a Y woth the downspout feeding an elbow. the only time the sump really runs is the Spring (snow melt) unless there's Heavy rains.
Old 08-23-2007, 02:13 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,068

Sump pump Plumbing

matt -

I just mentioned that because the need for a sump pump discharge is always AFTER any rain that could unknowingly clog the discharge pipe. It is cheap insurance.

I recognize how predictable frost-out water conditions can be.

concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote