Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Sump pump pit water level --- problem

Should the sump pump pit always contain certain level water? I noticed that the sump pump pit has water always keep the same doesn't matter how often the sump pump pump out the water. Even there is no rain, the sump pump is still keep pump out the water in every minute. But if I turn the power off to stop the sump pump running, the water level in the pit seems increase slowly (maybe fill up the pit about two day). I have a "SSP-1000 1HP sump pump w/microswitch" installed and there is no way to adjust the switch.

Should I worry about it? Anyone have any idea or suggestion? Thanks in advance.

de12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:52 PM   #2
DIY'r

You should not worry.

The switch must sit above the pump's intake so that the pump motor doesn't burn out (it needs to have water going through it whenever it's running). So there will always be at least a couple of inches of water in the pit (unless you're going through a dry spell and no water is coming in).

The fact that the water rises when you unplug the pump, and stays at that same level with the pump plugged in is a good sign. It means the pump is doing its job.

BTW - I was only able to find this pump with a "WaterSense" switch. Either way, the principle is the same as above for most sump pumps, float or switch.

ScottR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by de12 View Post
Should the sump pump pit always contain certain level water? I noticed that the sump pump pit has water always keep the same doesn't matter how often the sump pump pump out the water. Even there is no rain, the sump pump is still keep pump out the water in every minute. But if I turn the power off to stop the sump pump running, the water level in the pit seems increase slowly (maybe fill up the pit about two day). I have a "SSP-1000 1HP sump pump w/microswitch" installed and there is no way to adjust the switch.

Should I worry about it? Anyone have any idea or suggestion? Thanks in advance.
Why is the pit continuing to fill even with no rain? Is your AC condensate dumping into the pit?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Why is the pit continuing to fill even with no rain? Is your AC condensate dumping into the pit?
Happens in a lot of circumstances. Lawn irrigation, ground water, springs, leaky pipes, etc.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Happens in a lot of circumstances. Lawn irrigation, ground water, springs, leaky pipes, etc.
With ground water/springs, there's nothing you can do about that, but if the homeowner has issues with water coming into the pit b/c of the irrigation system, leaky pipes, etc, then that needs to be proactively addressed.
Old 10-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

Do you have a check valve on the discharge line immediately above the sump?

If not, water in the line can flow back into the sump to increase the number of times the pump runs since you are pumping much of the water several times. - It is called "short circuiting".
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 02:20 PM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
With ground water/springs, there's nothing you can do about that, but if the homeowner has issues with water coming into the pit b/c of the irrigation system, leaky pipes, etc, then that needs to be proactively addressed.
Thanks all for your reply.
One thing that I cannot figure out is that where the water come from.
The sump pump pump out about 6 gallon water every minute --- 24 hours --- never stop (RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump with "WaterSense" switch), the water level in the pit come back as almost exactly same level as it before. After I unplug the sump pump, I cannot see any water come from INLET PIPE and the pit seems doesn't connect to any house water pipe, but the water level of pit increase slowly after a few hours.

Does sump pump pit suppose to seal for out side and only take the water that come from the INLET PIPE? If the water doesn't come from the INLET PIPE, then where water come from. Does the underground water leak into pit or any other resorce? Thanks for your help.
de12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

de12 -

Very often, sump pits have some holes in the sides or bottoms. This is done to lower the ground water level (over time) a little below the inlet elevation. This will help the drain tile collection system to work better when you have big storms or spring rains/water.

Your system seems to be working well, but you should look for leaks, gutters/downspouts, landscaping to see if there is an unusual water source.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by de12 View Post
Thanks all for your reply.
One thing that I cannot figure out is that where the water come from.
The sump pump pump out about 6 gallon water every minute --- 24 hours --- never stop (RIDGID SSP-1000 sump pump with "WaterSense" switch), the water level in the pit come back as almost exactly same level as it before. After I unplug the sump pump, I cannot see any water come from INLET PIPE and the pit seems doesn't connect to any house water pipe, but the water level of pit increase slowly after a few hours.

Does sump pump pit suppose to seal for out side and only take the water that come from the INLET PIPE? If the water doesn't come from the INLET PIPE, then where water come from. Does the underground water leak into pit or any other resorce? Thanks for your help.
Sounds like one experiment you may want to consider is to shut off the water at the main and see if your pit continues to fill.

If it does, it is either coming from the supply side before the valve, or ground/spring water.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #10

My sump pit fill up to a 1 foot then just sits there. I've move the float so the pump pumps out the water but it fill up to a 1 foot again. Should I set the float to keep pumping out that foot of water. How much water should or could be in your pit. It look like the water table is about 1 foot so if I ajust it to pump it will be pumping every hour. Right now it sits with about a foot of water and pumps every 4 or 5 hrs.

I have a hard time putting things into words so if you have any question please ask.
ftasudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #11

>>> sits there

You may have a "normal" or "ambient" grouind water level that you can keep pumping forever (with the pump on more than 60% of the time) and also if you turn the pump off completely during dry weather the water does not keep rising up into your basement.

You can set the floats and switch on your pump so it runs only when the level rises somewhat above that "normal" and shuts off when the water is brought down to near that "normal" level. This may result in much reduced pump running.

That "normal" level could well be a foot deep. Under the circumstances you and I described, leave that foot of water there.

The floats need a high (turn on) and low (turn off) that are not too close together. If the "normal" level is close to the basement floor, you may have to let the pump keep going until the water goes a few inches below "normal" so the the switch snaps on and off cleanly. If conditions are not too wet, the water will rise back to normal, halfway between the on and off positions and the pump will wait until the next rise of a few more inches to come on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-26-2009 at 07:04 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:25 PM   #12

thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
>>> sits there

You may have a "normal" or "ambient" grouind water level that you can keep pumping forever (with the pump on more than 60% of the time) and also if you turn the pump off completely during dry weather the water does not keep rising up into your basement.

You can set the floats and switch on your pump so it runs only when the level rises somewhat above that "normal" and shuts off when the water is brought down to near that "normal" level. This may result in much reduced pump running.

That "normal" level could well be a foot deep. Under the circumstances you and I described, leave that foot of water there.

The floats need a high (turn on) and low (turn off) that are not too close together. If the "normal" level is close to the basement floor, you may have to let the pump keep going until the water goes a few inches below "normal" so the the switch snaps on and off cleanly. If conditions are not too wet, the water will rise back to normal, halfway between the on and off positions and the pump will wait until the next rise of a few more inches to come on.
ftasudbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:16 PM   #13

I have a similar problem, I sump pump will cycle about 4 times in a minute. I figured out that the water level will stabilize at about 13" from the bottom of the pit. The sump pump pit is 24" deep. My question is if there is harm, for example that moisture could developed, if we let the water go and stand as high at about half-way in the pit?

Is there a recommended distance to keep the water below the basement slab?
emre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emre View Post
I have a similar problem, I sump pump will cycle about 4 times in a minute. I figured out that the water level will stabilize at about 13" from the bottom of the pit. The sump pump pit is 24" deep. My question is if there is harm, for example that moisture could developed, if we let the water go and stand as high at about half-way in the pit?

Is there a recommended distance to keep the water below the basement slab?
You probably want to keep the water below the drain tile.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #15

its a good idea to have some water in your pit--
you never want to suck out the crap thats there at the bottom--
i have seen many pumps have their impellers stuck--
from a rock or other solid object--
i recommend installing it on a 3inch high brick about 9inches wide
make sure the vibration from the pump--
does not move off of the brick--thats what you want to do--

coocoobe101 is offline   Reply With Quote