Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #1

Share |

sump-pump not running

A lot of rain got dumped on the midwest yesterday. Our 7yr old house sits at the top of our neigborhood and water runs away from the house very well although it collects between us and our neighbor's lots during long hard downpours. We've never had water in the basement, however i still wondered why I've never heard our sump pump run.

I lifted the cover off the sump pit and water level was a couple inches above the top of the inlet pipe, pump is completely submerged and not visible. I emptied the sump pit to inspect the float control and pump. Float control when floating was not turning the pump on. Pump has power. Model is a Myers SP25A1. I've ruled out everything in the troubleshooting section of the manual for when the pump does not run except "If all symptoms check OK, motor winding may be open."

What are my next steps? Is it possible the float control switch is malfunctioning? Can I replace that? Is it worth calling a plumber? Should I just buy a new pump? I usually try to fix things myself and do plumbing work myself, i.e. install new water softener, run new water lines for basement bathroom.

Thanks for the help!
8roty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 AM   #2

sump-pump not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8roty View Post
Pump has power.
Check the current flow with a clamp-on ammeter. Voltage is half the story.

You could also put a wooden stick onto the pump housing and listen at the other end for a faint hum. No hum, no current flow.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #3

sump-pump not running

I used an AC current detector on the cord running to the pump, it was "hot". I'll try the wooden stick test when I get home.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 AM   #4

sump-pump not running

Almost all the time, it's the switch. Not too familiar with Meyers. Does it have a piggyback switch or a single plug?
yesplumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:43 PM   #5

sump-pump not running

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesplumbing View Post
Almost all the time, it's the switch. Not too familiar with Meyers. Does it have a piggyback switch or a single plug?
I'm not sure what piggyback switch vs single plug means. It looks like according to the diagram of the pump, at a certain height the control float turns the pump on, below a certain height it turns off.
http://www.femyers.com/pdf/pdf.sse/s...l/23833a13.pdf
Old 07-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #6

sump-pump not running

So still no life in the sump pump, lifting the float control does nothing, not even a hum from the pump motor. Are there float controls that I can buy from a hardware store to replace the existing one? Any other troubleshooting steps, should I remove and inspect closer?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:32 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

sump-pump not running

Most homeowner sump pumps plug into the float, and the float plugs into the outlet. I cannot tell from your description if you have this type of system, however if you do it is easy to check if the float is working. Simply purchase an outlet checking device, costs about $10. Install the checker into the outlet on the float switch (the outlet the pump is probably attached to), lift the float, and see if the checker turns on.

If not, the float is bad, assuming you have power to the float, which you already indicated you had checked. If the float is working, then the pump is bad. You can also check the pump by plugging it directly into an outlet, at least if has a cord, which I think the Myers typically comes with. Best to use a switched outlet, makes it easy to turn off without having to pull the plug on a running motor.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:57 PM   #8

sump-pump not running

You can buy a high quality pump for under 200.00. If you call a plumber you can expect to spend a lot more than that.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:18 PM   #9

sump-pump not running

The float control switch is a plug type connection to the pump, not a piggyback connection between the pump power cord and outlet. I took the float control switch to the local hardware store. They did a quick test to see if it was still good, it was so that means the pump was bad. Bought a new one for $150 and installed it. Water pumped out of the pit.....so that's what a sump pump sounds like! Or should I say i knew what they sound like but never before in this house. A better peace of mind knowing that it'll keep water out of our newly finished basement.