Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Sump Pump Needs a Bit of Work!

I'm in the DC area and about 3 years ago spring, we had some massive rains (several inches over a 3 or 4 day period) that caused my basement to flood. At that time, people who had lived in the area for 40 years said this was the worst they had ever seen, carpets soaked, ripped out and put out on trash day for several weeks all over the area. Well, my basement flooded a bit and I blamed my Little Giant 6-CIA pump, though I will admit that oak trees had clogged up all of my gutters and that didn't help things. So I decided to upgrade the pump to an 8-CIA and did a temp hookup with corrugated sump pump crap piping from HD. A few weeks ago, I happened to be in the basement and heard that all familiar sound of water spraying and sure enough, the corrugated stuff I had temporarily hooked up had cracked and was spraying water. The setup was identical to what had lasted for nearly 15 years prior, chaulk it up to our trade with China. Heck, they take our worthless paper (Treasury bonds) in exchange for toxic toys, but that's another story. So now I have the 8-CIA and a desire to do it right. I purchased this massive cast iron check valve (wow, those valves at HD are absolute GARBAGE, aren't they?). So, I've come up with this scheme to get things piped up. I would actually prefer to be able to pull the pump out in case I need to do a quick change, but I have not been able to find a hose that is flexible enough to do this. Anyway, here is the detail of how I'm intending to hook things up, should work, but if I can get a suggestion to allow for yanking the pump out of the hole (flexible hose?), that would be even better. I already have several 2 inch pipe to 1 1/4 inch hose adapters to use if the proper hose can be found. And yes, this setup is not in accord with Code, that would require I discharge directly to the outside, but all the old homes in my area are piped this way and at the moment, this approach appears to be the most expedient. I have a blind pup that would fall into the trench I would need to dig and would take a few weeks to fill due to my indolence.
Attached Thumbnails
Sump Pump Needs a Bit of Work!-img.jpg  
Attached Images

Last edited by smata67; 05-17-2010 at 06:17 PM.
smata67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Sump Pump Needs a Bit of Work!

Your best bet is to hard pipe the pump discharge all the way to wherever it runs by gravity, avoid flexible pipe. If you want to remove the pump in the future, install a union before the check valve. That way you can un-couple the union and as long as your 2nd pump is configured the same, you can swap pumps in a matter of minutes. I would also install a shutoff valve after the check valve so in case the check valve needs servicing, you can turn the shutoff valve off to avoid draining the vertical section of piping to get at the check. I would also avoid having the shutoff, check, and union below the high water line in the sump pit. They like to be above the floor level for accessability.

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote