Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #1

Share |

sump pump level rising

we have had a lot of snow and melting in the last week. at first (four days ago) the water in my sump pump was about 12 inches down. then it was about 6. today, it is about 2 inches from the top. pump has not stopped running in all that time. i am scared it will flood my cellar. i keep asking men i know and have been told "as long as it keeps runnning..." "keep an eye on it..." also, i see no float. i am scared to put my hand into pit of water - will i get shocked. i don't know what to do...lisap

lisap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

sump pump level rising

Check where the sump discharge is located to make sure the water is not cycling back in.

Clear snow away from your foundation and your gutter downspouts.

Find the float and also, you should not be shocked if you stuck your hand in the pit.

Last edited by handy man88; 03-02-2010 at 08:19 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #3

sump pump level rising

Not all sump pumps have an external float. As just stated, make sure that the water is being sent far enough away from your foundation. As long as it is pumping good i.e. not clogged you got to let it just keep working and hopefully it will keep ahead of the rising water table.
meboatermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

sump pump level rising

handyman - thank you for answering, but i guess my problem is bigger than i thought. water rose up and out of the sump pump and i discovered that the pipe that goes into the hole came out of the hole it is supposed to go into. (i am guessing on this set up). i pushed it back in and put a pail of heavy tools on top of it. i guess i need a handyman now. but thank you for your answer. do you think this will last the night? lisap
Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #5

sump pump level rising

Where are you located ?
Outlet pipe could be frozen
Make sure it is pumping water out & the pump isn't simply running
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #6

sump pump level rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisap View Post
handyman - thank you for answering, but i guess my problem is bigger than i thought. water rose up and out of the sump pump and i discovered that the pipe that goes into the hole came out of the hole it is supposed to go into. (i am guessing on this set up). i pushed it back in and put a pail of heavy tools on top of it. i guess i need a handyman now. but thank you for your answer. do you think this will last the night? lisap
Your discharge pipe could have become detached from the pump itself. That could be for a number of reasons, including ice blocking the discharge causing overpressurization.

If you know where the pipe discharges, go find it and chip off the ice.

Also, I would recommend you pull up the cover, get a bucket, and start removing water and dumping it into a tub/toilet.

Or, run out to Lowes, and buy this shop vac and a long garden hose. It has a pump feature which will allow you to pump this water out into your backyard (assuming it's not below freezing outside) or to the nearest drain.

http://www.shopvac.com/vacs/detail.a...index&StoreID=

For tomorrow, I would recommend a plumber, not a handyman.

Last edited by handy man88; 03-02-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 PM   #7

sump pump level rising

i am in upstate new york. near albany. i can't get the two pipes to connect properly so i did the best i could and weighted it down. i am kind of worried about what will happen in the night. lisa
Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

sump pump level rising

It may have become seperated due to pressure, IE frozen pipe
So the pump may just be moving water around without actually pumping anything out
If it is running constantly there is a chance it could burn the motor out
How old is the pump ?

Again, check to see if the water is being pumped out
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #9

sump pump level rising

Quote:
i am in upstate new york. near albany. i can't get the two pipes to connect properly so i did the best i could and weighted it down. i am kind of worried about what will happen in the night. lisa
Which two pipes are you talking about?

Are they connected by a PVC fitting with cement?

Again, you may need to run out and buy a union that you can tighten down on both ends via hose clamps. Before that, you must ensure the discharge is clear.

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/%28...aspx?SKU=46046

You may want to include a picture next time of what your situation is.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 PM   #10

sump pump level rising

i'm not sure i can get a picture of this because it is under (dirty) water. there is a long pipe (pvc) on the basement floor that bends into the hole. it connects to what feels like another piece of pipe coming up along side the pump. i am just guessing by feeling it under the water. there is a round clamp that joins them (normally). i can't seem to join them properly. i have it smashed together (water is spurting out where i "joined" them inside the hole) and i have a bucket of tools on top of the pipe so it doesn't pop off. lisa
Old 03-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #11

sump pump level rising

Quote:
i'm not sure i can get a picture of this because it is under (dirty) water. there is a long pipe (pvc) on the basement floor that bends into the hole. it connects to what feels like another piece of pipe coming up along side the pump. i am just guessing by feeling it under the water. there is a round clamp that joins them (normally). i can't seem to join them properly. i have it smashed together (water is spurting out where i "joined" them inside the hole) and i have a bucket of tools on top of the pipe so it doesn't pop off. lisa
Sounds to me like the check valve came off, and that could be because the discharge is blocked.

Again, check outside where the pipe discharges to make sure it is clear.

Shut off the pump so that it is not pumping while you attempt to re-secure the check valve between the two PVC pipes.

You can not just "rejoin them." You must insert each end of the PVC pipe into the check valve and then tighten the hose camps with a screwdriver or a ratchet.

Water is still spurting because your pump is still pumping.

Last edited by handy man88; 03-02-2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:09 AM   #12

sump pump level rising

thank you all for your help. i guess i don't belong on a "DIY" site. i tried though. i must call someone today to fix it properly. my "fix" lasted the night. thank you all again. lisa (i will make sure to have it checked for blockage from ice - thanks)
Old 03-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #13

sump pump level rising

The only way to learn is to try
And when there may be an emergency like flooding its hard to not try anything
Its also hard to fix something when you do not know how & there is water (dirty?)in there

Once its fixed take a look at it when its all pumped out to see how it goes together
Hopefully it will never happen again