Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Sump pump issues

Old sump pump stopped working...not sure when but a month or so. We don't have a lot of water so it rarely came on anyway. Checked piping to ensure it was clear buy pushing smaller hose through it. Bought new pump and installed it...filled pit with about 6 inches of water...pit emptied quickly but made a subtle...but funny noise at the end. I refilled the pit with some water...pump made noise (buzzing sound) but did not empty water. Water also leaked out of the side of the pump...at the lower and upper housing connection area. Removed pump...some water gushed out of hose upon disconnect. Checked outside area...lots of water had come out...so the pipes are clear (or working). Pump appears to be full of water (internally). This was the same issue with the old one which I took apart prior to buying the new pump...the motor was full of water. Not sure if that is normal...but I think not.

The check valve appears to be working as well.

GeorgeHuhges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 PM   #2

Sump pump issues

Do you have a 1/8" to 3/16" relief hole in the pipe before the check valve to prevent air lock? Is it plugged up maybe?

Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:56 AM   #3

Question

Sump pump issues

There does not seem to be a relief hole...builders must of forgotten to do that when they put it in, which is probably one reason why my first motor siezed up.

So just drill a 1/8-3/16th hole below the check valve, i.e. between the check valve and the pump itself?

Also...if the sump gets water in it (as water was coming out the side of my new pump...any chance it will work again if I empty it out? Can they get wet internally (motor area)?

Last question...my original pump was a 1/4 hp submersible pump and I upgraded to 1/2 hp for this. I almost bought a effluent pump 3/4 hp which seems a little different (only one power cable). If this 1/2 hp is fried..can I use an effluent pump? Is there a real difference (safety etc.)?

Thanks,

George
GeorgeHuhges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:43 PM   #4

Sump pump issues

Yes, and drill it at an angle so that the water shoots down and not straight out when it's running.

I can't imagine that you hurt your new pump, it's submersible too, yes?

The effluent pump can pass solids to a certain size....that pump would be massive overkill in this application.
Dave Carney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump pumps