Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 08:01 AM   #1

Share |

Sump pump install

Hi all, I am installing a sump system in my basement, if I could please get some info. what is the best type of piping to use to run to the basin and what diameter is it and where can I get it. I have a jackal basin which has no holes or ports, I would like to drill holes in the basin, are 1/4 or 1/2 inch good and have many should I put in. Do I need to vent the system. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anthony

AnthonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:19 PM   #2

Sump pump install

One run of 3 to 4 inch pipe with perforations in a row about 6 inches apart (the pipe comes that way). Routing is all around the perimeter of the basement under the floor at or slightly below foundation footing level. Cut two 3 to 4 inch holes in the basin (liner) to admit the two ends of the perimeter pipe. The perimeter pipe should have holes downward and be laid on and be surrounded by gravel instead of dirt. Drilling a few 1/2 inch holes in the bottom of the basin is optional. It is desirable to admit water from that far down but you really don't want mud to come in. It does not matter if water drains out of the basin through these holes during dry season. THe chances of mud coming in are less if the pit is somewhat larger than the basin and the space between the basin and the sides of the pit filled with gravel.

If the entire underside of the basement floor has a layer of pea or larger sized gravel it is possible you won't need pipes under the floor. Here drill about a dozen 1/2 inch holes in and near the bottom of the basin and set it in a pit lined with gravel. You could install it this way first and add the 4 inch pipes later if you still hafve basement flooding problems.

No pipes are needed under the middle of the floor.

Caution: When excavating the foundation footings, imagine a gentle slope down away from the bottom corner edge of the footings, three inches horizontally for each inch vertically. Do not carve below this imaginary surface. Thus in order to have a 4 inch pipe completely below the foundation bottom, the pipe has to be in at least a foot in from the footing side.

Usually the pump outlet pipe is about 1-1/2 inches (give or take). See the pump instructions for the best size.

Last edited by AllanJ; 03-24-2011 at 12:30 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #3

Sump pump install

Hi Allan and thanks for the reply. A few years back I installed a bathroom in the basement and I had to install the drain in the floor. I do remember under the concrete floor a layer of small gravel before getting to the dirt. I guess that's what you meant by pea size. Just a few more questions:

Do I need to put a vent pipe in the system.

My discharge pipe run will be approx 10' I bought the stormpro 1/2 hp pump is that sufficient

I read somewhere to put a small hole in the discharge pipe so as not to create a vacuum

thanks

Anthony

Last edited by AnthonyM; 03-24-2011 at 08:44 PM.
AnthonyM is offline   Reply With Quote