Sump Pump Help - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2015, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

sump pump help

Hello everyone,
I'm A new member to this site.Although I have extensive knowledge of home plumbing through the remodeling company I work for, I have limited experience with sump pumps besides installing a few replacement pumps.The other day my pump was running every 20 seconds normally three to four times a week,then we had a hot dry spell for a few weeks,then when it finely rained the pump kicked on. but after draining the the pit the pit would refill immediately from the inlet pipe as if the pump is pumping into the inlet pipe.when I disconnected the pump and backup pump the pit level water would hold just above the inlet pipe.. the pump discharge pipe drains to a 4" PCV next to the house,I would imagine that 4" pipe connects to ?-I would hope to a main drain to the street drain. Prior to this year the pump has always worked and the only water in the pit after pumping would be the water from the weep hole in the discharge pipe. any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

evets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,346

Maybe the pipe where it discharges to is plugged.

Run a garden hose through full blast, see if it backs up. Sometimes that may remove the blockage . if not try snaking. Just a suggestion.

Others will be along with more suggestions.

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:22 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,374

Our they forget to glue the 4 inch pipe.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 04:54 PM   #4

by code do we know where the 4" pipe should drain too.I don't have my gutter spouts attached to any type of french drain system. I just cant find where the 4" pipe is draining too. I have access to a 100ft snake,I'm just leary about snaking a pipe I don't know where it goes to
Old 09-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,497

Do you have a backflow device installed on the discharge line?

It is possible that your inlet line is set below you float kick on level for your pump ( i am making the assumption that you know what and inlet line really is).
Old 09-10-2015, 06:10 PM   #6

before i realized the water was returning from the inlet I checked both back-flow valves. the inlet and float kick are right where they should be. personally I think with the water returning back through the inlet it would suggest I'm clogged up,as stated by other members. so if I don't have a french drain system where does that 4" PVC drain to
Old 09-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 3,688

Try creating a brand new temporary outlet for the sump pump, perhaps a hose directed well away from the house.

If the amount of water coming into the sump pit is drastically reduced then you know that the existing 4 inch drain pipe outside you were using is somehow leaking the water back into the basement.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:46 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,374

Run a hose and dye down the 4 inch pipe if you find dye in the sump it is coming back into the house. The 4 inch can go anywhere the road ditch a stream or it may go to your storm drain.

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote