Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
Rze
Average Joe

Share |

Sump Pump in Elevator PIT

I need to install a sump pump in an elevator pit at our church. It's not a constant problem but being thorough. The walls of teh elevator shaft are exterior walls and I have to options. 1) Drill through the wall and run a pipe out to a flower bed, or 2) Drill through the wall and run the pipe into a rainwater drain located at the outside of one of the walls.

My concern is that I am thinking I need to go up the wall a little (as opposed to running the pipe out at ground level, so as to not create a hole where ground water can get in), and that in doing so will create a uturn in the piping. I assume this is not optimal and am looking for any suggestions as to the best way to accomplish this.

Rze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You really need to check with your local fire department and code office. Those shafts are made to not allow fire to spread up through them, and cutting a hole into the concrete wall or block, in the wrong place can end up with the pipe in the way of the elevator.

Call the company that put in the elevator, because they would also know where to place the pump. Plus if the hydraulic system is leaking, you just cannot pump that waste water out into the storm sewer, or on the ground.

You also need to figure out why water is getting in there in the first place. Most shafts that are in areas with high water tables, have a sump well placed into the bottom of the shaft, so all water follows the slope of the floor, into the pit, to be pumped out into a trap, so that any oil or other fluids, do not enter the nature.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?

Last edited by gregzoll; 11-18-2013 at 02:59 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #3

IS your elevator inspector requiring the pump? Normally that pump is in a dry state and only comes into use if a fire breaks out in the building. Elevator shafts have a bad habit of filling with fire hose water. If someone happened to use the elevator they could drown. If your getting a storm water issue perhaps you need to clean out your buildings footer drains.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (11-18-2013)