Sump Pump Drainage Issue - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-31-2011, 11:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Sump Pump drainage issue

Hey all-Recently I have been informed by my city public works that my sump pump draining into my sewer is against code and must be changed within 30 days. Knowing that the house AND sump pump existed before the sewer pipe I went searching for the old discharge. I have found one unexplained pipe that runs out my basement wall and halfway through my yard and because for some reason it is now attached to a water pipe(thinking someone had a fountain at one time)I know it is flushed and ready. My question is the pipe extending through the wall is 1" to 1 1/4" and it's flexible...Is it feasible for me to attempt to attach my 2 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump pump to this drainage hose??? Really can't afford a plumber right now and since I'm a city employee I can't really drag my feet on this...

Advertisement

Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,022

Sump Pump drainage issue

TRy it and see what happens. Get a couple of 5-gal buckets with water and empty one into the pit and see if it pumps through without issue. If the line is clear it should come out. 2 1/2" discharge is pretty large for most sump pumps, usually 1 1/2" is used; will need an reducing fitting at least.

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,018

Sump Pump drainage issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
Hey all-Recently I have been informed by my city public works that my sump pump draining into my sewer is against code and must be changed within 30 days. Knowing that the house AND sump pump existed before the sewer pipe I went searching for the old discharge. I have found one unexplained pipe that runs out my basement wall and halfway through my yard and because for some reason it is now attached to a water pipe(thinking someone had a fountain at one time)I know it is flushed and ready. My question is the pipe extending through the wall is 1" to 1 1/4" and it's flexible...Is it feasible for me to attempt to attach my 2 1/2" pvc coming out of my sump pump to this drainage hose??? Really can't afford a plumber right now and since I'm a city employee I can't really drag my feet on this...
How did your city PW dept know that your sump was dumping into the sewer?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Sump Pump drainage issue

Run a new line to an open area in the yard or somewhere. I would not reduce the size of the discharge, That puts more stress on the pump and voids the warranty of the pump and 2 1/2 inches does sound odd.
NickFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,048

Sump Pump drainage issue

It would probably be better not to use the unexplained pipe yet. It might end up outside quite close to the house and the water poured down it could make its way back to the house drainage system and sump (pit).

Temporarily run a new line on the surface and ending some distance from the house if possible.
Old 06-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,022

Sump Pump drainage issue

Allan: Where is your sense of adventure?

Advertisement

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote