Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #1

Share |

Sump Pump Drainage

I'm trying to figure out where to drain my sump pump discharge to. There is no city sewer or storm drains. It's pumping about 5 gallons every 10 minutes right now. It was originally pumping into the front yard and pooling. I temporarily have it pumping into the back yard but it's killing the grass.

Pictures of my front and back yard are attached. The front has no ditch or slope by the road so that's not an option. The rear has woods I can pump into, but a slope of only 7" over 110 feet and a tree (roots) in the way. Either side is sloped downwards but the water will end up pooling on my neighbors property.

What can I do with all of this water?
Attached Thumbnails
Sump Pump Drainage-image-2379050980.jpg   Sump Pump Drainage-image-1602165095.jpg  

matt151617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Sump Pump Drainage

dry well where it's pooling or extend pipe out to the culvert

TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3

Sump Pump Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarheelTerp
dry well where it's pooling or extend pipe out to the culvert
There was a drywell in the front but it was basically useless because of the large amount of water. There's no culvert or ditch, and the road slopes towards my property. The pavement ends where the grass starts.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #4

Sump Pump Drainage

Bottle it and sell it as natural spring water.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #5

Sump Pump Drainage

Anyone have any real ideas? What about exiting the house into perforated 4" pipe, spread out over 50 feet. Unfortunatly when it would be needed most is also when the ground is also fully saturated.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:05 AM   #6

Sump Pump Drainage

It appears to be a small ditch in that easement out by that hydro pole.
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #7
Master General ReEngineer

Sump Pump Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
Anyone have any real ideas? What about exiting the house into perforated 4" pipe, spread out over 50 feet. Unfortunatly when it would be needed most is also when the ground is also fully saturated.
Ayuh,.... Water flows Downhill, so plumb it in whatever direction is Downhill, 'n off yer lot,....
Bondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #8

Sump Pump Drainage

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt151617 View Post
Don't use the perforated kind and drain in right into that easement out front. If it flows into the neighbours easement that's ok...its not his property
Old 06-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #9

Sump Pump Drainage

There's actually not a ditch there, the ground slopes right before the pole but it's still grass. The pump did empty right by the pole originally but made a swampy mess in that whole area.

I'm hoping that by using 2 rows each of 20 or 30 feet of perforated pipe, I can spread the water out over a larger area instead of dumping it all in one spot.

The spot in the front by the road is the only area low enough to put actual slope in drain pipe... another reason I'm hoping to use a perforated pipe field.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #10

Sump Pump Drainage

Why would you want to spread it over your property.
If it was me, Id dump it on the easement and then when it swamps, call the township to come out and look and ask them what they plan on doing about it.

Isn't it their responsibility to dig out the easments all the way down the block to make sure the properties drain.
It is here
Old 06-29-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Civil Engineer

Sump Pump Drainage

It is possible to perform a very simple test that will tell you a lot about your drainage. You need to measure the groundwater table. This can be done by installing a small pvc pipe into the ground, with perforations in the last foot or so of the pipe (the part that is in the ground). Typically you would use a 5 foot section of pipe, with one foot of perforations, which can simply be drilled 1/4 inch holes in the pipe. Insert the pipe into the ground, either by digging a small hole, or if the ground is really soft, you can pound the pipe in if you put a sharp metal plug on the end. You have then installed a piezometer, and you can measure groundwater level by the level of water in your pipe.

If the groundwater level is close to the surface, say less than 2 feet down, you are not going to be able to dispose of your water by drainage into the ground. If the groundwater table is at least three feet down (and you need to measure the water table in the wet season), you can run perforated pipe a foot or so below grade, and backfill with crushed stone, which will allow you to drain water into the ground.

If groundwater is too high, you need to drain into a ditch or storm drain system. If you don't have a storm drain or a ditch to drain to, and your water table is high, you are out of luck.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

Sump Pump Drainage

The road I live on is a state road so the easement may be with the state... I'll see what the rules are with that. One of the reasons it floods is the slope of the road drains right onto my property. I have a feeling what they'll tell me when I ask though. Maybe they'll let me at least dig a ditch there.

The water test sounds like a good idea, although with all this rain the water table is probably about 1" below the surface.

So I'll run 3" pipe straight out of the front of the house. If the ground can absorb the water, start perforated pipe about 15 feet from the house. If not leave it open-ended at the edge of the road and deal with the flooding.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #13

Sump Pump Drainage

IMO the last thing you want to do is put the water in front of your house. If I read this correctly, the water will just come back into your house. You need to find a way to get the water out back, downstream of your house.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #14

Sump Pump Drainage

I'd also never suggest putting your sump line into any type of French drain. But you can put one where your line dumps. Need lots more pictures of your property.

Last edited by Tatertot; 06-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Tatertot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #15

Sump Pump Drainage

The small hill out front is 50 feet from the foundation of the house. I figure that by 30 feet out or so from the house, the water pumped out can percolate back to the water table before it ever travels back into the foundation.

Those pictures are it for my property. It's surrounded on 3 sides by cedar hedges and is totally flat. There's no way to get the water to any downhill spot, unless the town decides to install storm drains or culverts.