Sump Pump Drain Line Keeps Freezing - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Sump Pump Drain line keeps freezing

Hi all
I have a rural home, and it happens every year the drain line keeps freezing and plugging, the drain line exit's the house at ground level, then runs along the house about 15 feet, I have tried a few things but sure enough it freezes, ( have burned up 2 pumps already) the pipe is 1 inch black plastic, and their is no way to keep it straight, to drain after the pump runs, is there other methods of doing this, ? I was thinking to drain into septic, inside the house but just not sure? if this is a good idea

Advertisement

jerrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:49 AM   #2
Remodeler

Rewards Points: 170

I wouldn't drain it to the septic system, you don't want that extra water flowing through there. I would change the piping and install a larger diameter. I usually use 1 1/2" pvc to pipe away from sump pumps. The rigid pvc makes it easier to maintain a slight downhill slope on the pipe so water drains away before freezing. You will either need to exit the house at a higher point or trench the pipe in the ground so it maintains a downhill slope. You may have to extend the pipe further away to an area where the ground falls away and the pipe can end above ground. If you set it up right you will use the pump only to lift the water out of the basement, then gravity will take over and drain the water away.

Advertisement

iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

Stop! You pump exit pipe must "free fall" into a larger pipe.

A free fall drain is much like a faucet and sink---The pump pipe is typically 1 1/2 inch--that should leave the house and then have an elbow-- then use 3" pipe for the actual outside piping(4" is even better)

The 'house pipe' (faucet) now will dump into the larger 'outside pipe' (sink) --if the outside pipe gets plugged up--the water will run out harmlessly on to the ground.

No flooded basement.

I have 2 pits and 4 pumps--I live near a river---3 4" pipes are buried just under the sod---
this works--the larger pipes stay clear and ice free ---Mike---
Old 02-25-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks guys
that really makes it quite clear, there is no doubt the people who originally plumbed this in, did not know what the hell they were doing, the pipe coming out of my pump is 1 1/2, then reduces down to 1" going thru the wall out of the house, at ground level !!!
jerrylee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerrylee For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-25-2011)
Old 02-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,234

The pump is not designed to have such a small pipe---that alone will make a pump die young.--

Make sure that there is a back flow valve in the line-not having one allows the water to siphon back down to the pump.

Mike---
Old 02-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

You should have a 2" discharge pipe for starters. If it continues to freeze after that then you're probably not deep enough.

Advertisement