Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 04:31 PM   #1

Share |

Sump Pump Discharge in MN

As a new homeowner I am just starting to get used to this sump pump! I live in a low water table area, so my pump goes off about every 15-20 minutes. I have asked my neighbors about this and they all say the same thing happens on their property. I recently hired a plumber to install a new pump (i didn't know how old the last one was and it seemed to be running funny). Until today, I had a 20' discharge hose that I moved around the backyard for the last two months. We are now in constant freezing weather. I have disconnected the discharge line (the old one was not buried, in fact I believe they were doing it the 'not to code way' by running it to the city drain in the hose).

Three questions: will the pump run all winter and do I have to worry about freezing water close to the house? Secondly, in the spring, when I look into burying the line permanently, should I look at winterizing options for the line such as burying it below the frost line or using a heating coil in the pipe? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Lastly, the pit in the basement seems to fill up from a hole in the bottom of the liner rather than the three intake hoses towards the top portion of the pit. During a heavy rain storm this fall, no water came through the three lines and the pump operated at the same frequency, with all of the water appearing to be coming from the small slit in the bottom of the pit.

livinginthepark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 AM   #2

Wow, no one likes the new guy? Any suggestions?

Old 11-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #3

congratulations on the new homeownership,,, your education's just beginning

from the sound of it, your problem's a high water table as you've described AND as the system's managing it ( 'hole in the bottom of the liner rather than the three intake hoses' ),,, 1 thing you might ask locally - over 100' of system, we'd use 2 pumps - both submersible zoeller brand,,, pedestal pumps have much more startup torque & aren't preferable to me.

your discharge should be ' free ' of piping asap & let gravity take care of it,,, obviously you'll have a mound of ice if this continues so take care of that in the spring,,, yes, burying a 4" pvc flexible pipe below frostline's good but where the water eventually drains is also a concern

' not to code ' is correct because of overload at the sewage treatment plants,,, there're also laws against robbing banks yet it continues

no heating coils are nec if you're below frostline.
yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:51 AM   #4

OK. Thanks for the advice. I was a little nervous about the small slit in the bottom of the pit where the water is coming in from, but better that than my basement or walls, right? So then do you think that when I have the line buried, I should not worry about putting it below frost line and then just disconnect in the freezing weather again?
Old 11-12-2008, 08:35 AM   #5

I bet it will run all winter...and it certianly wouldn't be the first one that would.

If the pipe is not below frost level, it will most likely freeze at some point over the winter, so yes you need to be below frost level. If you bury the like below frost level, where are you going to go with it? In some city's you can attach the your sump to the storm drain system...make sure you install a anti-back flow device. Call your local building officials to hear what they suggest...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:04 PM   #6

when you've buried the line, don't bother to disconnect it 'cause skip's probably right - it'll run year 'round,,, think of your bsmt as a ship's hull & there's a hole below the waterline

i like the idea of storm drains & that should be legal,,, check as skip post'd.

yes.itsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote