Sump Pump Discharge And Drain Back - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Sump Pump Discharge and drain Back

I have a Sump Pump with your normal Sump Basin. I have a currently one sump pump in the hole that uses a 1 1/2" Discharge with a Check Valve about 2 feet out of the Basin. I currently have one 4" exterior drain tile coming into the basin. I will be adding another 4" drain tile that is about a 28 foot run into the same basin. Here is my problem during the Summer when you have a high water table and we get a nice hard rain fall the current 4" drain tile injects about 3" or so of water into the basin at once. I understand that my discharge pipe is 1 1/2", so there is a lag in getting all the water out. I do not have a back up sump pump, so a few time the water over filled the basin. Here is what I was thinking of doing putting a battery back up sump pump inside the basin and use the same 1 1/2" discharge and then "Y" it into the 1 1/2" pipe about 1 inch before the 90 degree fitting that then directs water thru rim joist and out the house with a straight pipe then a 1 1/2" corrogated tubing that goes 100' out to back of the property. I understand that the back up pump would only work a couple of time a year and was wondering what type of over load this would do to the pipe?

I am thinking about once the pipe goes thru the rim joist make another 90 deg and have it go to a 4" pvc sch40 pipe that is burred under the frost line and goes to the hillside to discharge. Should I "Y" this into my underground drain spout? If so after the "Y" then bump that pipe up to 6"? We have lots of clay where we live so the sump pump will run for 3~5 days after the rain fall. Would this be a good idea or should i after both pumps are "Y' connected then bump pipe up? If so what size?

I also have the discharge line that likes to freeze, but the pipe has about 6 feet of water in it due to a low check valve. should I "Y" in another pipe below or above the back up "Y" to a 1/2" drain back to basin with a ball cock that is open in the lower temps and closed in other temps? I feel that this would keep the water from freezing since basement is cold during winter months.

Please let me know what ideas you have?

Advertisement

dukeboy633 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukeboy633 View Post
I have a Sump Pump with your normal Sump Basin. I have a currently one sump pump in the hole that uses a 1 1/2" Discharge with a Check Valve about 2 feet out of the Basin. I currently have one 4" exterior drain tile coming into the basin. I will be adding another 4" drain tile that is about a 28 foot run into the same basin. Here is my problem during the Summer when you have a high water table and we get a nice hard rain fall the current 4" drain tile injects about 3" or so of water into the basin at once. I understand that my discharge pipe is 1 1/2", so there is a lag in getting all the water out. I do not have a back up sump pump, so a few time the water over filled the basin. Here is what I was thinking of doing putting a battery back up sump pump inside the basin and use the same 1 1/2" discharge and then "Y" it into the 1 1/2" pipe about 1 inch before the 90 degree fitting that then directs water thru rim joist and out the house with a straight pipe then a 1 1/2" corrogated tubing that goes 100' out to back of the property. I understand that the back up pump would only work a couple of time a year and was wondering what type of over load this would do to the pipe?

I am thinking about once the pipe goes thru the rim joist make another 90 deg and have it go to a 4" pvc sch40 pipe that is burred under the frost line and goes to the hillside to discharge. Should I "Y" this into my underground drain spout? If so after the "Y" then bump that pipe up to 6"? We have lots of clay where we live so the sump pump will run for 3~5 days after the rain fall. Would this be a good idea or should i after both pumps are "Y' connected then bump pipe up? If so what size?

I also have the discharge line that likes to freeze, but the pipe has about 6 feet of water in it due to a low check valve. should I "Y" in another pipe below or above the back up "Y" to a 1/2" drain back to basin with a ball cock that is open in the lower temps and closed in other temps? I feel that this would keep the water from freezing since basement is cold during winter months.

Please let me know what ideas you have?
I cant comment on everything you touched on here, but the sentence in bold certainly has me scratching my head. In Summer, and typically the winter season in the North, your sump pump should get a decent break. Also, in all the troubleshooting of foundations drainage I've done through the years, I've never seen or heard of that much water flow to a sump crock. I think you have a serious issue with something feeding your draintile with copius amounts of water, other than an artificial water table. Almost sounds like your downspouts are tied into you draintile or something similar...........

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

Do you know what size pump you have? More specifically how many GPH it pumps.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:00 AM   #4

The sentence in question was during the 07 and 08 year 100 year flooding they called it..we where getting about 2-3 inches of rain every day with bad storms at night when the rain would come down in sheets...so the water table was already high...From what I have hurd from some neighbors is that there is an underground creek/stream that the subdivision behind our houses they filled in....I have talked to a few of those neighbors in that subdivision and they experence bad water problems.. There are no gutters or any type of drainspouts connected. My neighbor above me that is on a hill approx 60feet away has his eaves draining directly to my house..plus i get what ever comes between his house and mine.

Last edited by dukeboy633; 04-26-2013 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:02 AM   #5

In question for the size of pump..I have no idea previous owner had it originally installed and i have never taken it out of the basin.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Do you have water pooling up against the foundation during not so heavy rain storms? When you correct that, you should not have such pooling for long periods of time even during heavy rain storms.

It is very unusual for water to pour through the perimeter drain system that fast.

There is one possible cause that is not easy to see or fix. When the foundation was backfilled just after construction, there could be many air pockets against the foundation underground. These can fill rapidly during a storm and almost all of that water gets into your perimeter drain system.
Quote:
My neighbor above me that is on a hill approx 60feet away has his eaves draining directly to my house..plus i get what ever comes between his house and mine
You probably need to regrade your land so the water doesn't come so close to your house, perhaps going to the street instead.

Last edited by AllanJ; 04-26-2013 at 08:55 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

No gutters or downspouts with that much rain is an awful combination. Can you post some pics of the exterior of your house, your roof, and the neighbor's house that pours water towards yours? Thanks
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,724

Is the water that your sump pumps reentering the house possibly through a broken fitting?

Advertisement

Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote