Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Share |

Sump pump in crawl space

We have had some heavy rains recently and when I looked under the house in my crawl space there was a couple inches of water. I assume it was the rain and that my well is not doing something odd. I pumped the water out with a utility pump. The next day there was a little more water, but not as bad as when I first found it. The water is accumulating where the well pipes come up from the ground.

If I have to put a sump pump under the house where is the best spot to put it? At the lowest pat of the ground? Please feel free to give any additional info as I have never had to put a sump in a crawl space before.

crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
DIY staff

Sump pump in crawl space

Is the crawl space dirt and gravel?

General answer---yes . Place the pit in the lowest spot----a perforated plastic pipe buried a few inches below the surface(covered with gravel ) will help drain the entire area.

If no pipe----perforate the pit---I have gotten good results cutting slits in the pit with a circular saw to be effective.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 PM   #3

Sump pump in crawl space

Mike I assume i do use one of those plastic things that look like a bucket for my sump pit?
crescere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
DIY staff

Sump pump in crawl space

Exactly---they are cheap and give the depth and size needed for the pump and float.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:28 PM   #5
www.inspectorzo.com

Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

Sump pump in crawl space

Good advice from Mike. I'll just add a point about power.

If this is a permanent solution, think of running a power GFCI receptacle to the general area of the proposed sump pump. For a no-worries scenario, provide a dedicated sump pump circuit. It will allow you to shut off the pump without crawling under, as well knowing that there is no other load to trip the outlet when you need it most.
Make sure the cord from the pump is not laying on the ground. Keep it in the air, attach it to the floor joists and plug it to the receptacle up high. If you intend to use an extension cord (not recommended), keep it off the ground the entire distance and make sure the sump pump pigtail and the cord are connected well together.
Obviously, the last thing you want is problems resulting from this new pump surfacing elsewhere.
Good luck,

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crescere View Post
We have had some heavy rains recently and when I looked under the house in my crawl space there was a couple inches of water. I assume it was the rain and that my well is not doing something odd. I pumped the water out with a utility pump. The next day there was a little more water, but not as bad as when I first found it. The water is accumulating where the well pipes come up from the ground.

If I have to put a sump pump under the house where is the best spot to put it? At the lowest pat of the ground? Please feel free to give any additional info as I have never had to put a sump in a crawl space before.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #6

Sump pump in crawl space

Quote:
If this is a permanent solution, think of running a power GFCI receptacle to the general area of the proposed sump pump.
I would either use a GFCI breaker, or place a GFCI near the crawl space entry that would protect the receptacle in the area of the sump pump. You don't want to have to crawl (thru mud or water) to the pump to reset or replace a GFCI.

Oso954 is offline   Reply With Quote