Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

Share |

Sump pump concerns

I have a sump pump in my basement,i was getting alot of back up from discharge pipes,si I disconnected them and ran drain line from discharge pipe out side.i am still getting waterback into the pit tho.the water isnt comming from the drain tiles under the basement floor,and the plumber I had out,said the check valves are fine....he said the water is from whats left in the pipe below the check valves.so with that in mind...i used shop vac to suck out and clean the pit,great all water out,well 11 hours later...theres water I. The pit,and its not ,coming in from drain tube under basement floor,and theres no plumbing /water or sewer lines connected to the pit,and the water when ejected from the pit draines into tube to the back of property.what gives? This is driving me absolutelu crazy!

Hutchinsonhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #2

Sump pump concerns

When I say at the begining back up,i mean that thr drain tiles/black4" plastc tubing going to drywell was clogged.so I capped off old,and ran new line above ground for now

Old 09-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #3

Sump pump concerns

I have a similar sump pump setup I installed while back, but I am not sure what you are asking?

Sump pump is there to collect underground water to be pumped out. If you wet vac'd your sump pump pit but 11 hours later there was water, I would say it is doing it's job?

I think the check valve is there so that the pump doesn't run over and over with that vertical column of water.

If you normally do not have water in your pit, check to make sure that your discharge pipe from the sump pump is not loose and is properly dumping water into that 4" pipe outside. Also, I would make sure the end of that 4" pipe is as far away from your basement corner as possible (hopefully grading away)
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allthumbsdiy For This Useful Post:
Hutchinsonhut (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 06:43 AM   #4

Sump pump concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchinsonhut
When I say at the begining back up,i mean that thr drain tiles/black4" plastc tubing going to drywell was clogged.so I capped off old,and ran new line above ground for now
the black drain tube outside is running away from house,my yard is graded away from foundation so there is good grading,but....if the water is not coming on from the drain tile under basement floor and not coming from discharge tube then where is it coming from?is the bottom of the pit open somewhere that I am not see"ing, and the water will come up there as the water table rises
Old 09-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

Sump pump concerns

I would not worry about water in the pit. The pit is supposed to be ready to collect water at all times (and the pump ready to get rid of the water when the water level gets high enough).

A crack in the bottom of the pit letting water in the ground seep up into the pit is not a defect.

Last edited by AllanJ; 09-12-2012 at 09:34 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllanJ For This Useful Post:
Hutchinsonhut (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012, 07:37 PM   #6

Sump pump concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ
I would not worry about water in the pit. The pit is supposed to be ready to collect water at all times (and the pump ready to get rid of the water when the water level gets high enough).

A crack in the bottom of the pit letting water in the ground seep up into the pit is not a defect.
Thank u to everyone who replied,i swear my hair was turning grey from the stress of that sumppump,its been alot of sleepless nites over the past yr.lol.as ive never had a sump pump b4.again,thank u to all that answered,im sure ill b back on again with more concernes