Sump Pump Basin / Pit Installation Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

sump pump basin / pit installation question


Hello Everyone!

Have a quick question.
I am installing a sump pump pit for a pedestal pump. I bought Flotec 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin from Home Depot. The pump will be used to pump out water that comes into the basement at different points and collects in one corner.

Now I dug a hole for the basin and is ready to install, but from what I am reading I need to put gravel under the basin and around it. Is it really necessary? I am not using the pump to prevent water from coming up, only to collect that ends up in that corner... What is the purpose of the gravel?


This is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it.


thanks for your input!
ipokrov

Advertisement


Last edited by ipokrov; 01-03-2014 at 11:04 PM.
ipokrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran
 
jmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,749
Rewards Points: 1,340
Default

sump pump basin / pit installation question


Yes it is necessary. IMO, the crushed stones help to filter out the mud, dirt and junk so it's not sucked in by the pump causing premature pump failure. I would follow the reccommendations and use it. Make sure you use big enough gravel so it doesn't get sucked into the pump as well. Just a thought. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/ideas.

Advertisement


Last edited by jmon; 01-03-2014 at 10:53 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5
Rewards Points: 10
Default

sump pump basin / pit installation question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Yes it is necessary. IMO, the crushed stones help to filter out the mud, dirt and junk so it's not sucked in by the pump causing premature pump failure. I would follow the reccommendations and use it. Make sure you use big enough gravel so it doesn't get sucked into the pump as well. Just a thought. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/ideas.
But this is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it. so the water wont have any mud, just what ever it picks up on the way to the pit
ipokrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran
 
jmon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,749
Rewards Points: 1,340
Default

sump pump basin / pit installation question


Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokrov View Post
But this is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it. so the water wont have any mud, just what ever it picks up on the way to the pit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokrov View Post
Have a quick question.
I am installing a sump pump pit for a pedestal pump. I bought Flotec 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin from Home Depot. The pump will be used to pump out water that comes into the basement at different points and collects in one corner.

Now I dug a hole for the basin and is ready to install, but from what I am reading I need to put gravel under the basin and around it. Is it really necessary? I am not using the pump to prevent water from coming up, only to collect that ends up in that corner... What is the purpose of the gravel?

This is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it.

thanks for your input!
ipokrov
Sorry, I have never set one up like that. I've always used perforated basins with gravel for proper filtering and drainage. Stay tuned and see what others reccommend.

Last edited by jmon; 01-04-2014 at 01:46 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sump Pump discharge question hubaseball02 Plumbing 11 03-30-2012 06:56 PM
Sump pump operation MikeKy55 Plumbing 16 05-11-2011 05:35 PM
Sump pump float height dac122 Plumbing 8 12-08-2010 09:47 AM
sump pump question moisheh Plumbing 1 09-13-2009 03:14 PM
Sump pump installation moggi1964 Plumbing 9 04-25-2007 09:28 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts