Sump Pump Basin / Pit Installation Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2014, 10:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

sump pump basin / pit installation question

Hello Everyone!

Have a quick question.
I am installing a sump pump pit for a pedestal pump. I bought Flotec 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin from Home Depot. The pump will be used to pump out water that comes into the basement at different points and collects in one corner.

Now I dug a hole for the basin and is ready to install, but from what I am reading I need to put gravel under the basin and around it. Is it really necessary? I am not using the pump to prevent water from coming up, only to collect that ends up in that corner... What is the purpose of the gravel?

This is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it.

thanks for your input!
ipokrov

Advertisement

Last edited by ipokrov; 01-03-2014 at 11:04 PM.
ipokrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,340

Yes it is necessary. IMO, the crushed stones help to filter out the mud, dirt and junk so it's not sucked in by the pump causing premature pump failure. I would follow the reccommendations and use it. Make sure you use big enough gravel so it doesn't get sucked into the pump as well. Just a thought. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/ideas.

Advertisement

Last edited by jmon; 01-03-2014 at 10:53 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Yes it is necessary. IMO, the crushed stones help to filter out the mud, dirt and junk so it's not sucked in by the pump causing premature pump failure. I would follow the reccommendations and use it. Make sure you use big enough gravel so it doesn't get sucked into the pump as well. Just a thought. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/ideas.
But this is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it. so the water wont have any mud, just what ever it picks up on the way to the pit
ipokrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokrov View Post
But this is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it. so the water wont have any mud, just what ever it picks up on the way to the pit
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokrov View Post
Have a quick question.
I am installing a sump pump pit for a pedestal pump. I bought Flotec 18 in. x 22 in. Sump Pump Basin from Home Depot. The pump will be used to pump out water that comes into the basement at different points and collects in one corner.

Now I dug a hole for the basin and is ready to install, but from what I am reading I need to put gravel under the basin and around it. Is it really necessary? I am not using the pump to prevent water from coming up, only to collect that ends up in that corner... What is the purpose of the gravel?

This is a solid 1/2 inch thick basin, no wholes in it at all and I was not planing on perforating it.

thanks for your input!
ipokrov
Sorry, I have never set one up like that. I've always used perforated basins with gravel for proper filtering and drainage. Stay tuned and see what others reccommend.

Last edited by jmon; 01-04-2014 at 01:46 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote