Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2012, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Sump pump back up

We just finished a large addition/remodel to our home. In the basement under the new section we have a sump pump. I want to put some type of battery back up system on the sump pump. We currently have a Zoeller sump pump that is only about 7 months old. Our plumber suggested putting in a Blue Angel pump that has a battery back up in place of our current Zoeller pump. He is very high on the Blue Angel pumps and feels that it will move more water than the Zoeller. Going into this I was expecting to put a second (backup) pump in that would run off battery or one that would run off the electric if available first and then the battery back up. This way if Zoeller failed then the back up would kick in. I would like to hear everyones thoughts on the two scenarios 1) installing only Blue Angel pump with battery back up or 2) adding second pump with battery back up. Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

DennyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Sump pump back up

If you are not having any issues with your current AC pump, I wouldn't replace it. I would just add to your set up with a battery backup.

I installed a battery backup about 2 years ago (basement watchdog) and it has saved me a couple times.

Branden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sump pump back up

Nextag shows $225 to $324 for these pumps for the IQR,
". . .the distance between the 75th percentile and the 25th percentile. The IQR is essentially the range of the middle 50% of the data. Because it uses the middle 50%, the IQR is not affected by outliers or extreme values."

The costliest pump I saw was $675.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Sump pump back up

Lack of battery maintenance is the most common cause of backup failure. With a new battery they usually run 8hrs. at best. If you are on city water check out water backup pumps. If you are on well water never mind, if the power goes out then the pump quits working.
plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Sump pump back up

And if you get a 12v system in a pinch you can pull out vehicle batteries and use them. They're not 'deep cycle' but once in a while a deep discharge shouldn't hurt.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote